What will we have for the ski season of 20-21?

Friends get together

What will we have for the ski season of 20-21?

Postby skijim13 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:53 am

What is everyone's feelings on will it like for the ski season 20-21? This is typically when Lorie and I will be getting ready to plan next winters ski season trips including booking a PMTS camp. I am concerned that we may not have a ski season for 20-21 if things don't get better. My local mountain would not stay in business if they lose next season.
skijim13

Re: What will we have for the ski season of 20-21?

Postby ErikCO » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:57 am

I think that we will have a ski season, it will just be different. I don't think that people/companies will put up with shutting down the ski industry for a year. I would think that even the big companies like Vail would have a hard time absorbing that loss. There probably will be some changes, though. I expect on-mountain dining to be quite limited. With decreased revenue from food/alcohol, I would not be surprised to see the resorts trying to make up the difference with increased pass prices and/or parking.

That said, if you are someone on a limited budget or a high-risk individual, it may be a good idea to hold off on any plans until fall. Come October/November we will probably have a better idea of how significant a second wave of infections is going to be.
ErikCO

Postby RyanAllen » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:53 am

Both fingers crossed! I am planning to attend my first Colorado camp in 2020/2021. Fall back plan could be Welch Village again but I could really use the shop's help with my boots. Meanwhile I'm trying to complete a DYI set of Harb Carvers and finding it's tougher than I imagined!
RyanAllen

Postby h.harb » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:49 pm

One thing about Harb Carvers, if you are bowlegged or over cuffed in your boots, they can be very challenging. We make sure the knee center is on the boot center.
h.harb

Postby Vailsteve » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:37 pm

Re Vail resorts Epic pass prices.... I have not seen any new price point yet for 2020/2021 epic pass.. There has been no emails from VR yet on a price hike beyond what was announced before the shutdown. They will continue to auto renew next years pass if you are a current pass holder and charge you a 50.00 down payment in April.

Having said that, there is also no confirmation that pass prices will not increase. This Covid 19 pandemic has REALLY scrambled VR (as well as every other resort.)

So who knows...I do know that VR did send an email earlier this year announcing that 2020/21 epic pass holders will get a 20 percent discount on on-mountain dining, as well as on ski lessons and rentals.

I believe VR in Broomfield has noticed that ever increasing day pass prices HAVE impacted skier visits, so VR is attempting to offer some incentives for pass holders.

Also, there are a ton of discussions on when to open for the summer season. Vail Colorado mountains may open as early as end of June, end of July, or not at all. All of us who have worked on the mountain in past summers are being told to just sit tight.

Having said all of this, I am quite confident Vail will reopen in the fall. Maybe with some restrictions, but open. It is pretty easy to social distance while skiing...the issue being of course, riding in the gondolas and chairlifts. And eating in restaurants...
Vailsteve

Postby ErikCO » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:14 pm

Vailsteve wrote:Re Vail resorts Epic pass prices.... I have not seen any new price point yet for 2020/2021 epic pass.

Just as a point of comparison, I was surprised that the Ikon pass offered a $100 discount to current pass members here recently with essentially the same price as last year. Unfortunately, they dropped Aspen and Jackson Hole from the base pass, but that was announced long before COVID.
ErikCO

Postby njdiver85 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:23 pm

Has anybody heard anything about the 2020/21 camps and potential registration dates for returning campers? Usually see an email out around now?
njdiver85

Postby skijim13 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:41 am

I expect sign up for ski camps to be delayed due to this crisis. I am optimistic that next winter I will be training again in one of the ski camps. With all the extra free time I have been training hard in my home gym and hiking about 25 miles per week. When the weather gets warm it will bike riding and rollerblading.
skijim13

Postby h.harb » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:35 pm

We will be sending out camp schedules and dates soon. We are making sure we have redundancy in the coaching staff for each camp and from one camp to the other, for every camp just in case. This is requiring some extra time to organize as we have to contact all coaches and work out their schedules.
h.harb

Postby skijim13 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:11 am

Thats great news that the camps will be running next season. We all the free time I have never been in better shape working out. Just need the stores to open need small pants.
skijim13

Return to Social Chatting