New videos from Reilly (and Paul)

Friends get together

New videos from Reilly (and Paul)

Postby HighAngles » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:52 pm

2 new videos were posted on Reilly's channel recently.

This one has a cool segment starting at about 1:45 where they morph Paul into Reilly during the run...
HighAngles

Re: New videos from Reilly (and Paul)

Postby deicreo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:20 am

Paul, in his latest medium and long turns vids shows no CA at turn finish. Quite opposite to his short turn demos.
deicreo

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:27 am

deicreo wrote:Paul, in his latest medium and long turns vids shows no CA at turn finish. Quite opposite to his short turn demos.

Don't forget that at least half of Paul's season (and for Paul season = year, since he skis year round) is spent prepping for the Japanese tech competitions and that is the type of turn that is rewarded in those comps. Given how much CA these guys use in their short turns, there is no question about their command of the movement.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby deicreo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:15 am

Heluva wrote:
Don't forget that at least half of Paul's season (and for Paul season = year, since he skis year round) is spent prepping for the Japanese tech competitions and that is the type of turn that is rewarded in those comps. Given how much CA these guys use in their short turns, there is no question about their command of the movement.

I watch his channel thus that was my guess too. Do you think, he drives his outside hand forward to facilitate the release?
deicreo

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:03 am

deicreo wrote:Do you think, he drives his outside hand forward to facilitate the release?

No.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby dougtee » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:37 am

glad to see reilly is recovering, but surprised he is still only at 80% after hip surgery. if a full time athlete with relative youth on his side takes that long to recover i worry about broken down me
dougtee

Postby gaku » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:25 am

I'm learning the hard way that each surgery carries its own prognosis and timeframe. I was back competing in 8 months after more or less all tendons in my knee blew out (ACL-, medial and lateral ligament, and partially ruptured meniscus) the first time. This time I'm approaching 9 months and there's still plenty of work to be done on the knee. I never fathomed the importance of a surgeon's skill in the outcome and rehab time before finding myself in the midst of it. I expect the meniscus will need several more months before being symptoms-free, and the ACL still gets sore after prolonged sessions. That's a 3-4 month difference in timeframe, and just like the first time, I've been dilligent with training post-surgery, a minimum 1.5-2 hours of strength and coordination training 2/3 times a week, and a minimum of 3 days of 1 hour recovery training (bicycling, forest hikes, lately jogging too), so the difference shouldn't derive from effort (sleep, or diet).

It's a big slap in the face, the worst is probably the doubt you have to face every day, why am I behind schedule, is this how it's supposed to feel, why does it make that clicking sound? I guess Reilly has had to change his expectations during the process as well, really hope he gets his hip functionality back to a level that matches his dedication and skiing goals!

Edit:
PS. Never thought I would be jealous of soccer athletes getting to pick their surgeon and rehab facilities pre-surgery. Imagine the success rate if they couldn't!
gaku

Postby B.Mulligan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:20 am

Always love watching Reilly and Paul, and the rest of the Oceanic and Japanese/Austrian/ Australian Expatriate crew.

But, the best of all those guys, both instructionally, physically, and as an over all versatile skier is, in my opinion, Tom Gellie-and yep, I'm including the hallowed Richard Berger and Takao in that statement. Again, they're all wonderful, but Gellie is producing some very comprehensive instructional and physical training materials and coupling it with some incredibly impressive technical skiing. And, I think he's pretty up front about being a fan of Harald.
B.Mulligan

Postby h.harb » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:37 pm

Tom Gellie was struggling when I first met him when he asked me to do some podcasts with him. His boot set up was way off. I helped him get things worked out, after that, he started to understand much more about how his body worked relative to his alignment. And as a physio, he has started to try to help others. I caution people however, you can do all the physio in the world yet if the set up is off, your body will get further damage with adaptive and compensation for the poor alignment, no matter how much physio you do.

Word to the wise, get your boots set up before you ski if you have been recovering from any leg, foot, ankle injuries, including hips. During my first months after knee replacement, I used 130 flex boots to help absorb shock from irregularities in the snow. This season after hip replacement in September, I skied all season on 140 flex boots.
Next season I should be able to get back to my regular world cup boot.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:50 pm

I'm learning the hard way that each surgery carries its own prognosis and timeframe.

Since my first knee surgery at 27 nothing was ever the same. I skied in pain for 38 years. I had 7 surgeries before a knee replacement, every one of them ended up feeling different. The same with my hip replacement, it will never be right or the same as before it was done. You have to keep in mind what is worst, the devil you know or the one that looms. No surgery is without consequences. People from all over the world ask me, "How do you like your knee replacement, or how's it skiing with a replaced knee?"
They want to know what to expect. I can only tell them that every outcome is different, so mine won't help you.

The factors are age, fitness going into surgery, your proprioceptive awareness, your rehab routine, your surgeon's ability.
h.harb

Return to Social Chatting