Skiing around Summit County - anyone keen to meet up?

Friends get together

Skiing around Summit County - anyone keen to meet up?

Postby oggy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:49 am

Hi folks, I'll be attending the HSS bumps camp at A-Basin, Feb 24-28. I'll also be skiing the two weekends around that, plus Monday, March 2nd. I'll be staying in Silverthorne, so I would also like to check out some of the other areas around (e.g., Breckenridge, Copper, Loveland, Keystone), though I haven't made my mind up yet. Are any of these particularly better/worse on the weekends?
oggy

Re: Skiing around Summit County - anyone keen to meet up?

Postby tigernbr » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:23 pm

I’ll just miss you. I’ll be at A-Basin from March 12 to March 16 if anyone wants to ski together.
tigernbr

Postby ErikCO » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:32 pm

Don't know if I'll be around to meet up as I'm still recovering from a knee injury, however I would recommend staying away from Keystone/Breck on the weekends unless you have no other options. If you are going to Loveland, make sure to show up early (7:30-7:45 for an 8:30 lift opening) as parking can fill up.
ErikCO

Postby tigernbr » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:26 am

I’m staying in Dillon. I’m a morning person so I always get there early. I hope you are recovering well from your knee surgery and can be back on the slopes soon.
tigernbr

Postby oggy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:39 pm

Thanks for the tips, Erik, and I wish you a speedy recovery!
oggy

Postby j_unruh@hotmail.com » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:38 pm

Summit County areas can be quite crowded on the weekends. In general, I find Copper somewhat less busy. If you are willing to do some driving, you may find Beaver Creek a bit better also.

As an example, a few weeks ago I was at Winter Park. I skied on Friday and Saturday. On Friday, I skied more runs and more vertical but spent less time at the ski area on Friday than on Saturday, where I saw 15 minute lift lines at Panoramic.

I find that the crowds peak from 10 AM - noon, and then drop off, so I try to start at opening (8:30 most places on weekends), take an early lunch, and then continue after lunch.

I will see you at camp.

John Unruh
j_unruh@hotmail.com

Postby tigernbr » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:06 pm

I’ll have a car so I can go pretty much anywhere within a reasonable drive from Dillon. I am definitely skiing ABasin Friday, but other than that, I can go anywhere. If anyone wants to meet up, let me know.
tigernbr

Postby oggy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:04 pm

Thanks John! Wow, I just saw the daily lift prices at Beaver Creek, that's pretty bonkers compared to Europe - a 4-day pass at Les 3 Vallees for a day at Beaver Creek. I guess the business model is completely different...
oggy

Postby tigernbr » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:12 pm

oggy wrote:Thanks John! Wow, I just saw the daily lift prices at Beaver Creek, that's pretty bonkers compared to Europe - a 4-day pass at Les 3 Vallees for a day at Beaver Creek. I guess the business model is completely different...

I thought the same thing about the prices. They are the same for just about all the Vail resorts. I will probably ski at A-Basin the entire time for this trip. A 5 day ticket there is about half the price of any Vail resort.
tigernbr

Postby skijim13 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:10 am

The IKON pass gives you five days at the basin, and unlimited at other local mountains. Copper is a great mountain near the basin. We brought the pass for $750 to ski at camp and have used it for Snowmass, Copper, and now Winter park for this weeks trip. Copper mountain is one of my favorites.
skijim13

Return to Social Chatting