planning dumont bootfitting with skiing to follow

Friends get together

planning dumont bootfitting with skiing to follow

Postby dougtee » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:22 am

hi all,

i am trying to plan a trip in late march that allows me to get a bootfitting done and then some days of skiing at breckenridge/a-basin. i would be flying from nyc to denver and i guess the preliminary plan is for me to hopefully secure a one way car rental on a sunday morning and drive directly from denver airport to dumont for said bootfitting. i am guessing after that it will be probably too late for skiing, so maybe some tips on cheaper accommodations en route to the mountains for that first night. from there i think i can figure things out pretty well! also be curious if anyone has figured out a way to do this without renting a car since i really would like to avoid having to rent a car for that week if the one way picking are as slim as they look. thanks so much in advance!
dougtee

Re: planning dumont bootfitting with skiing to follow

Postby CO_Steve » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:36 pm

Not having a car would be extremely challenging here. There are ways to get from DIA to the ski areas. Bustang, CME. Dumont isn't much more than a gas station exit on the interstate.
Nothing is going to stop or pickup there. There are busses that run throughout Summit County. You can get to Breck/basin by bus.
There are some cheaper places in Georgetown or Silverthorne. There's a cheap place right at Keystone. I've stayed in the LaQuinta in Silverthorne but it was an emergency :(
These are not first class accommodations.
CO_Steve

Postby VAskier » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:45 pm

PM sent
VAskier

Postby njdiver85 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:08 am

Inexpensive lodging options in Idaho Springs, a few miles from Dumont.
njdiver85

Postby dougtee » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:42 am

thanks for all the tips! i think i am leaning towards making this a one day airport car rental and just returning the car immediately after the bootfitting is done and hopping right on the next airport shuttle to the mountains. not going to be able to ski that day so no reason to overcomplicate things too much. will be a fun day of multimodal transit though.
dougtee

Postby marsound » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:21 pm

I’ve had great experiences with turo.com for car rentals out of DIA. I wouldn’t want to be without a car in Summit...
marsound

Postby dougtee » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:56 am

wow you arent kidding with turo. what great deals!
dougtee

Postby VAskier » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:46 pm

And the choice of cars on Turo can be fun especially if you drive a manual transmission. Two of the most fun cars I've rented were a 2007 Lotus Exige and a 2015 Porsche Cayman GTS
VAskier

Postby j_unruh@hotmail.com » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:29 pm

I have spent a lot of time in Summit County, CO in the last few years. I understand not wanting to rent a car at DIA, but all the comments about being in Summit without a car are correct, especially if you want to get cheap lodging or ski more than one area.

The easiest way to go without a car is to stay in Breckenridge. There is a lot of lodging and a good local bus system. There is also a bus system that can take you around the county, but it may require several busses and a long walk, so if you want to go this way you need to be careful to select lodging near a bus stop. In general, it is set up to take people from silverthorne and Dillon to Keystone, and people in Frisco to Break and Copper. You can also go from Break to Keystone and A-Basin. Silverthorne/Hillon to Break or Copper requires a change in Frisco.

Another option is taking the A-line train from DIA to Denver Union Station, and then the Bustang from Union Station to the Frisco Transfer Center, or taking one of the shuttle companies to Summit. From there, you can get transportation to your lodging.

There are car rental companies in Summit, so you could come up and rent a car for the time you are in the mountains, and to drive to Dumont.

Colorado does have passenger car traction laws, and rentals may not have the required equipment. Here is the info: https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-driving/tractionlaw

As for cheap lodging, there isn't much. The best prices I have found are the hotels at the I-70 Silverthorne and Frisco exits. Luxury Inn (pretty bad), La Quinta (OK), Days Inn, Super 8, Dillon Inn, Hampton at Silverthorne, Alpine Inn, Baymont Inn, Ramada, Holiday Inn at Frisco. I have sometimes found a good deal at someplace at Keystone. Also check VRBO, airbnb, etc.

If you don't mind driving, you could stay in Idaho Springs or Georgetown. If you really don't mind driving, try Golden.

John Unruh
j_unruh@hotmail.com

Return to Social Chatting