Indoor skiing in New Jersey

Friends get together

Indoor skiing in New Jersey

Postby VAskier » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:35 pm

https://www.bigsnowamericandream.com/slope-access/

Has anyone (likely nobody on this forum) been to this place in East Rutherford, NJ to practice PMTS? I saw it mentioned by gozoogle in a thread by Indoorski,who uses an indoor ski centre near London. The place in NJ is only 160' vertical, about 1000' long, and max 26% slope at the top to 0% slope at the "base". For $100, one gets 12 hours (six 2-hour tickets) of practice time. If it isn't too crowded, it might be a good place for PMTSers who live near the facility to practice for a couple of hours each day without having to travel far.
Last edited by VAskier on Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VAskier

Re: Indoor skiing in New Jersey

Postby dougtee » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:16 am

as an aspiring pmtser living in brooklyn i had my interested piqued for sure. not having a car really adds to the inconvenience, but if you want to not be tempted to do anything besides practice this seems like a great venue? i mean not a lot of temptation
dougtee

Postby ToddW » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:44 pm

I live “nearby” in Westchester. I’m thinking of checking the indoor slope out in July. I’ve reached a point where I liked my first run this season, but it still can’t hurt to do OFR, TFR, and other balance drills a couple times over the summer.

If I go, I’ll post a description unless someone has already beaten me to it.
ToddW

Postby Vailsteve » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:07 pm

ToddW wrote:I .... but it still can’t hurt to do OFR, TFR, and other balance drills a couple times over the summer.
If I go, I’ll post a description unless someone has already beaten me to it.

I spent 2 1/2 months last summer (and will be there again this summer...) in Abu Dhabi and skied that indoor slope in Dubai a couple of dozen times. Todd W pegged it...this does seem like the perfect place to practice PMTS drills before the real season starts. Hopefully it will not be too crowded as it was n Dubai.

Just don't rent boots and skis...I have a much greater appreciation for people learning to ski on crappy rentals. It can suck. TOTALLY spoiled after HSS fitted boots and good PMTS skis...
Vailsteve

Postby skijim13 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:19 am

I live about an hour from this place, not sure if its the right place for PMTS training, from what I have heard from others there are mostly people that can't ski or snowboard that will run you over. Maybe in the summer it might be better.
skijim13

Postby ToddW » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:21 pm

Jim,

Thanks for the warning.
ToddW

Postby l2ski » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:06 am

skijim13 wrote:I live about an hour from this place, not sure if its the right place for PMTS training, from what I have heard from others there are mostly people that can't ski or snowboard that will run you over. Maybe in the summer it might be better.

Maybe this will improve when the novelty of it wears off. I will certainly try it in the off season; it's only 30 minutes from me.
l2ski

Postby skifastDDS » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:14 am

I visit SE Connecticut a lot, maybe I'll check it out over the summer when there are no other options. I've skied in a snowdome in Europe, you can only train slalom turns for so long before it gets old being inside a giant refrigerator. If there's enough space to make real turns, I can see this being a great offseason training tool for people in the area.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
skifastDDS

Return to Social Chatting