Gunther Mader appearance

Friends get together

Gunther Mader appearance

Postby gaku » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:08 am

Briefed through an old thread where HH was asked what skiers he admired, allrounder Gunther Mader was one of a handful shortlisted. As it happens, just found a recent appearance of Mader and WC skier Luca Aerni freeskiing:

Also, I know this guy is mentioned quite often around here, but I don't think too many have seen this newer video? Love the arm discipline on RB

gaku

Re: Gunther Mader appearance

Postby noobSkier » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:20 pm

since we are posting video, here is a gem I found recently. Not all of it is good but there are some pretty ridiculous clips of Martin and Ritchie that I hadn't seen before.

noobSkier

Postby blackthorn » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:24 pm

Put on your PMTS lenses, and then watch!
blackthorn

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:23 am

The salomon video is flashy for sure.....but it isn’t even close to pmts...it all hip dumping, extension and no CA...always a pleasure watching Richie though...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby h.harb » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:30 pm

Mader definitely not looking like a PMTS skier. He isn't skiing the same as he was at his peak on the world cup.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:40 pm

Didn't he have a significant stroke many years ago?
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:57 pm

jbotti wrote:Didn't he have a significant stroke many years ago?

Yes. One of the [five?] skiers to win in all events on the WC (probably why HH has so much respect for him, plus he's a fellow Austrian!)... Then almost immediately post retirement I think he had a freak stroke. He fought back from that and is skiing again. Impressive any way you look at it.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby gaku » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:09 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:
jbotti wrote:Didn't he have a significant stroke many years ago?

Yes. One of the [five?] skiers to win in all events on the WC (probably why HH has so much respect for him, plus he's a fellow Austrian!)... Then almost immediately post retirement I think he had a freak stroke. He fought back from that and is skiing again. Impressive any way you look at it.

That's terribly unfortunate, and wow, mad respect to him for still skiing most guys off the mountain. Can't even begin to imagine the level of dedication it must have taken for a grown man to teach his body entirely new neural pathways for skiing again. I just read he had paralysis on his right side.

I would be very surprised if Salomon didn't ask Aerni to 'cool' it up with some upper body inclination in the engagement phase. It's a promotional, after all. Given the softer snow conditions he won't get punished for that edge-wise, can't win a GS world cup race without an insane feel for weigh distribution and TFRs. When I watch the video, I make a mental note that this isn't his performance skiing, all the while admiring how ridiculously in control he is of his movements (even if some of the facilitative movements are not in line with PMTS).

Let's not mention the red-jacket, though. Or the guy's mismatched inside shin/outside femur angles. . . or . . .

I'm a bit perplexed about the adamance that the video doesn't showcase PMTS movements, is that a requisite to post in 'Social chatting'? I came across a thread that mentioned Mader earlier, and upon finding this video, thought it would bring up some engaging discourse. Maybe some stories of old rivalries, other childhood heroes we don't hear much about anymore, maybe musings about skiing's evolution, etc, etc. Just see how far shaped skis got in the 4 year interim between these videos:

gaku

Return to Social Chatting