boot resistance band to keep together?

Friends get together

boot resistance band to keep together?

Postby dougtee » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:36 am

i know the pair of gloves, foam approach for practicing keeping feet together from the various PMTS materials, but this non PMTS video is the first time i think i have ever seen a resistance band basically forcing the feet into that position and i thought that was noteworthy:

https://youtu.be/x3oyYKuod5E?t=447
dougtee

Re: boot resistance band to keep together?

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:01 pm

Hmmmmm....not convinced...this is a sticking plaster and complete misunderstanding of what is actually going on...

The point about holding your feet together is subtle and various...

1.it is a muscular contraction that strengthens balance on the stance ski. This in turn helps to increase CB and strengthen UP through the kinetic chain.

2. It is a combination of movements; tipping, dorsiflexion, foot pullback & ankle squeeze. When completed all together, it produces a powerful combination that increases stance ski grip and balance.

The problem I have with the band is that it is forcing the ski together...the natural reaction of the body is to resist this reaction, especially if the alignment is off. Remember, everything comes from the snow up...how do you balance on one ski? To aid this balance and make you stronger, what do you do with the free foot? Now add tipping, dorsiflexion and foot pullback - they are all strong muscle contractions...

The only advantage THIS racer is getting is a closer stance width during transition..but he is not learning how to achieve this properly and the added benefits discussed above..
go_large_or_go_home

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:59 pm

Forces the muscles to fire opposite of what PMTS teaches... The coach doesn't understand skiing--plain and simple (and hasn't ever understood it). I feel bad for the student because he obviously works hard and has some skill... but the coaching is failing him.

Flashy YouTube videos that try to give the impression of being an industry heavy hitter with loads of sponsorships as opposed to the club-level coach that they really are does not equate to knowledge in my experience.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby razie » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:26 pm

I think the PMTS-approved accessory is the sponge... wich actually does teach the proper muscle action.. safely
Last edited by razie on Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
razie

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:39 pm

razie wrote:I think the PMTS-approved accessory is the sponge... wich actually does teach the proper muscle action.

I've actually been able to produce the proper outcomes by simply threatening skiers with skiing with the sponge... It is astonishingly effective.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby razie » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:02 pm

....yeah... I know...
razie

Postby ErikCO » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:44 pm

And some people suggest that negative reinforcement doesn't work. Just the mention of pole confiscation or the dreaded Dork-O-Meter is enough to improve most of our skiing. :)
ErikCO

Postby skifastDDS » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:58 am

razie wrote:....yeah... I know...

Yep. I hate that damned sponge.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
skifastDDS

Return to Social Chatting