Takao Maruyama

Friends get together

Re: Takao Maruyama

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:34 pm

Takao before the release. Uphill knee is bent.

In the next frame he extends, no flexing in either leg. So he demonstrates exactly the opposite of what he just told the people in the clinic to do.

He continues to extend and even shows diverging tips with an inside weighted ski. Saying one thing, not explaining it corectly and then showing the opposite is just way to mixed up and confusing for anybody; especially ski instructors. They will be arguing about this for weeks or they are blind.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:37 pm

My point, great skiers aren't great instructors. I've heard this from people who have attended these types of clinics and camps given by Celebrity skiers.
h.harb

Postby gaku » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:19 pm

h.harb wrote:
He actually uses rotation to make the ski turn with lots of lower body twisting, no balance. He actually over rotates every demo. I've taught this to very gifted skiers and getting it right isn't easy,

What have you taught to gifted skiers? You mean the 'delay' of CA for new turn/ keeping the CA of the previous turn for longer into the new turn?
gaku

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:47 pm

Gifted athletes aren't always and immediately gifted skiers. I coach them based on movements they have missing or movements that they are lacking or boot setups that are hurting their movements. If you read the threads here in recent days you will read how and with what I helped Reilly and others. There are no present agendas for any given skiers until you can figure out MA. PMTS offers movements that are a good road map to use for MA and determining how to proceed.
As far as counteracting it's all in my book and videos, it's online and in my Blog. I'm not going to repeat everything that has already been done here, again.
h.harb

Postby gaku » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:32 pm

h.harb wrote:Gifted athletes aren't always and immediately gifted skiers. I coach them based on movements they have missing or movements that they are lacking or boot setups that are hurting their movements. If you read the threads here in recent days you will read how and with what I helped Reilly and others. There are no present agendas for any given skiers until you can figure out MA. PMTS offers movements that are a good road map to use for MA and determining how to proceed.
As far as counteracting it's all in my book and videos, it's online and in my Blog. I'm not going to repeat everything that has already been done here, again.

Thanks for replying, HH. I asked for specification/clarification because from the quoted part I gave the 'this' of 'taught this' seemed to refer back to some anti-PMTS movements ('over-rotating', 'no balance' {weight transfer}) you wouldn't advocate, to put it mildly, certainly not teach.

Best, GA
gaku

Postby oggy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:01 am

Ran across this video of Takao, some great skiing in there
oggy

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:40 am

The opening scenes are spectacular...then you can pretty much skip to about 12:38 onwards if you want to view skiing with a PMTS lens..

Pretty sure that what we are seeing in his medium turns is the ‘Japanese way’..very distinctive and runs throughout almost all of the great Japanese skiers. Despite not adhering to pmts tenants, it is superior to anything you’ll find at interski.

There is a small section in his first bumps section that falls into HH comments above - I can’t see how what his is showing progresses into his own skiing...

Anyway, fun to watch..
go_large_or_go_home

Postby oggy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:07 am

Yeah, I think the instructional aspects sadly don't match the quality of the skiing. But a lot of great skiing. And agreed, the medium turns are distinctly Japanese in style. Funny to watch his outside ski wobble like that, I guess the snow must also be quite soft.
oggy

Previous

Return to Social Chatting