PSIA Lapsing and Recertifying

Friends get together

PSIA Lapsing and Recertifying

Postby RyanAllen » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:24 am

Last edited by RyanAllen on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanAllen

Re: PSIA Lapsing and Recertifying

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:40 am

You'll waste a bunch of time... You'll learn nothing... You'll spend time executing stupid human tricks that don't relate to improving your or your athletes' skiing... You'll waste a bunch of money that you'll never recoup... You'll have to deal with arrogant PSIA examiners / instructors along the way that elevate themselves by talking down to you... You'll be accused of being closed-minded if they catch wind that you find value in PMTS... You'll be told "L3 is where the learning begins"...

Zero. Value. Spend your time/energy learning PMTS... Like in bike racing, you dedicate a bunch of time to training so that your legs do the talking... do the same in skiing... let your skiing do the talking.

If it is pro deals you're after, just go through the online USSA (Level 100?) training and you're an official 'coach'. Done.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby ToddW » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:26 pm

If you look through old threads, you’ll find a couple instances of green level instructors who got involved in PSIA and had their skiing fall apart. It wasn’t easy for them to rehabilitate their skiing even with HH and Diana’s on-snow help. The same thing happened to a one-time Hintertux camp regular who did the Warren Smith Ski Academy thing.

If certification is important to you, shoot for PMTS Blue which is a much more demanding standard than level 3 for skiing and incomparably higher for teaching and MA.

Pivot slips and gliding wedge turns and open stance basic parallel turns do bad things to your brain and thus to your skiing. You can’t change the past, but you can minimize future brain damage (indelibly engrained bad motor control patterns.)
ToddW

Postby noobSkier » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:31 am

noobSkier

Postby RyanAllen » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:17 pm

RyanAllen

Postby skijim13 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:21 am

My wife Lorie, me and Chris all PMTS trained was on my ski clubs Fernie trip run by Mark a life long Ski instructor. He also brought two other people from the ski school on the trip. We never observed turns anything close to what we see in PMTS camp. However, he heard me telling a friend my legs were tired from flexing from all the skiing especially whens skiing difficult bumps and ungroomed snow. Him and another ski instructor were quick to point out that you need to extend and steer in the bumps not flex. Yet high level skiers use flexing to release and a narrow stance not the wide stance they use. Funny thing Lorie saw him trying to follow my medium radius turns and he couldn't with his wide stance and railing of the skis. I no longer teach at the ski school because while teaching wedge turns you mess up your PMTS skiing. The only thing the PSIA certification is good for is the discounts you receive with it on equipment and lift tickets and that is the only reason I keep it.
skijim13

Postby gozoogle » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:16 am

If you rejoin, do you not automatically get L2? I’m getting certified for L1 this month for the discounts. I don’t see the point in going beyond L1 PSIA. USSA 100 seems to have a worse discount (no Patagonia, for example) and also an on snow assessment, so I picked PSIA.
gozoogle

Postby skijim13 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:06 am

Once I started learning PMTS I did not finish my L2 certification and just kept L1. Most L2 skiers and L3 can't ski as well as the people in the camps. However, the L3 skiers think they ski at a very high level and keep that polished pin showing on their jacket with the big PSIA patch. Three of the instructors on my trip never went anywhere without their PSIA logo jacket.
skijim13

Postby RyanAllen » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:52 am

RyanAllen

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:06 am

Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Return to Social Chatting