This is Cool....

Friends get together

This is cool...

Postby noobSkier » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:19 am

HH from the front...or from the back??? Mind blown...

noobSkier

Re: This is cool...

Postby SkiMoose » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:29 pm

:lol: That's pretty cool once you see it, and this is the type of content we need more of on this site. How about a "comedic relief" section? May I submit my "slow mo PSIA skiing to sad music" video?
SkiMoose

Postby noobSkier » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:46 pm

I died at 1:01 lol. My dream is for Harald to comment through PSIA skiing in the way only he can. Instant viral.
noobSkier

Postby SkiMoose » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:58 pm

Glad you liked it :)
SkiMoose

Postby ErikCO » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:21 pm

The video is quite entertaining. Their dedication to and mastery of twist and skid, forward pole plant, and extension through transition is impressive!
ErikCO

This is Cool....

Postby jbotti » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:39 pm

Moved
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: This is Cool....

Postby Vailsteve » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:15 pm

Hey. I can extend. I can rotate. I can stem. Can I be a demo team member too?

Now if only I could flex to release, tip, counter act, tip, counter balance, tip and tip some more, then I may finally learn to ski...
Vailsteve

Postby noobSkier » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:11 pm

I showed the video to a friend of mine who I ski with, not a PMTS skier but he comes from the old style and nonetheless his skiing is fluid and aesthetic. Here are his comments:

"Yes .... it was like watching a team of wild dogs running through the woods .... what a farce"

:lol:
noobSkier

Postby skijim13 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:44 am

I have just come back from my sixth camp and many of the new people in the camps skied better than that at end of the week. Funny how my PSIA friends find it so easy for them to make negative comment against my PMTS skiing style but find it rude when we tell then what is wrong with their skiing. I have a person in my ski club that just passed level III and now believe he is a world class skier yet he is 100 lbs over weight and skis down the mountain like a bulldozer.
skijim13

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:25 am

skijim13 wrote:Funny how my PSIA friends find it so easy for them to make negative comment against my PMTS skiing style but find it rude when we tell then what is wrong with their skiing.

Unsolicited feedback will almost always fall on deaf, typically annoyed, ears. My rule of thumb—only give feedback if someone directly asks for it—even then, I am sensitive to the person’s background and their tightly-held ‘truths’ about skiing. Further, the better one is at actually doing the stuff they preach—the better it will be received.

Because of the nature of PMTS (books, DVDs, strong visual cues, etc.), students seem to develop a decent eye for good skiing long before they can execute it at a very high level. Where this dichotomy between what a PMTS skier knows and what a PMTS skier can do exists, and is recognized by someone who is on the receiving end of that PMTS skier's feedback—the conversation is unlikely to go well. It is one thing to state that the PSIA demo team can’t ski… It is quite another thing to go out on the mountain and prove it by doing everything faster, smoother, with bigger angles, no rotation/pushing, far more ski performance and at a similar or higher level of athleticism, on any terrain.

Teddy Roosevelt wrote:It is not the critic who counts; not those who point out how the strong person stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the person who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends themselves in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if they fail, at least fails while daring greatly, so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby jbotti » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:20 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:Unsolicited feedback will almost always fall on deaf, typically annoyed, ears. My rule of thumb—only give feedback if someone directly asks for it—even then, I am sensitive to the person’s background and their tightly-held ‘truths’ about skiing. Further, the better one is at actually doing the stuff they preach—the better it will be received.

How True!! I think it is important to remember the first question that an HSS instructor asks any new student (a question everyone who has been to a camp or has gotten private instruction HH or Diana has answered). This question is about one's goals and aspirations with skiing and what they would like to get out a camp or a lesson. It's a question of skier motivation. Those that go to HSS camps for the most part have it but most skiers have little to no motivation to change or improve their skiing. Without the motivation, all of it falls on deaf ears or worse sounds like arrogance combined with a need to "spread the word" and or recruit.

HH and Diana are not trying to convince anyone that they need PMTS, in fact they pretty much want nothing to do with people that don't have the proper motivation. And there is a good reason for this, they know it's a waste of their time.

I never volunteer ski instruction or advice and I ski at times with some pretty terrible skiers. If and or when they ask for instruction I first ask what they want to accomplish with any instruction that I might give, and then I tailor what I show them and how hard I work them based on what how they answer the question.

Another way to say some of this is instead of needing and wanting validation for the skiing path the we have all chosen, let your skiing do the talking. If your skiing isn't at that level yet (where its painfully obvious that you have skills that most don't possess), then just work harder on your skiing!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:24 am

jbotti wrote:Another way to say some of this is instead of needing and wanting validation for the skiing path the we have all chosen, let your skiing do the talking. If your skiing isn't at that level yet (where its painfully obvious that you have skills that most don't possess), then just work harder on your skiing!!

Words of Wisdom!
Max_501

Postby Vailsteve » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:11 pm

Agree with all the above...let your skiing do the talking.

Having said that, just showing/demonstrating the basics of PMTS to NON-PSIA professionals (read ski instructors!) is very very illuminating and helpful to almost every skier I teach. I have posted before that so many just want to have fun during their 5 to 7 day vacation, many want to get rid of the wedge, some want ski a black run or two, and everybody wants to feel more in control on any given terrain.

PMTS offers all that. When time allows and with the client interest, I start at the beginning of Book One Page One and off we go.

PMTS is good for them....more importantly, PMTS is good for ME! I am very fortunate that I can ski at all, and I ALWAYS try--on every run--to keep a focus on an essential movement.

Some days my skiing elicits a comment or two from some who would be considered very good skiers at Vail. They do notice the Harb sticker on my boots. We may ski a run or two, but I never try to comment or suggest something different to them.

I just try my best to emulate HH, Diana, Geoffda Heluva, max 501 jbotti -- all the PMTS skiers who so graciously give their time to making us better skiers.
Vailsteve

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:54 pm

The skiing of the PSIA Demo Team has regressed and deteriorated since I was on the team. OK, there were 2 out of the 10 on the team, in my day that were poor and weak skiers. But never as poor as what I've seen lately. Partly to blame is; they have no idea of how to set up their boots, and the second; they are skiing wide skis and they don't know how to tip them with energy from the last turn. This constitutes a need for "more steering of a flat ski" and less ski angle, which is obvious in this video post.

Anyone who has an eye to good skiing would never aspire to ski like these people in the video. Someone said that Harb campers at the Blue Camp ski better. I can tell you the groups in the last Super Blue ski better, and they are recreational skiers. Skiing in the USA is sad. And as John said about us, we don't want to change that, PSIA is great for Harb Ski Systems, they create new customers for us every day.
h.harb

Postby SkiMoose » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:06 pm

Sorry to hijack your thread noobskier :shock: I really didn't anticipate this response lol. Cool stuff by Harald and others though, lots to think about...
SkiMoose

Next

Return to Social Chatting