5 weeks to the beginning of the green/blue camp!

Friends get together

5 weeks to the beginning of the green/blue camp!

Postby tigernbr » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:00 am

I am really excited to start. I have been working through the indoor essentials video several times a week. I have it memorized. Lol. Anyone else going to the camp?

I have been keeping an eye on the weather and snow conditions at Granby. It seems they are struggling with above average temps and below average snowfall. Hopefully the weather patterns shift for the better soon.
tigernbr

Re: 5 weeks to the beginning of the green/blue camp!

Postby DougD » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:20 pm

You'll have a great time! Just prepare to have your present skiing deconstructed and to feel uncomfortable. This happens to everyone at their first camp and it's a good thing... a sign that you're making new & different movements.

The (4) trails now open at Granby are actually all the camp really needs. Pushing the terrain envelope is NOT what it's about.
DougD

Postby tigernbr » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:34 pm

My present skiing is practically nonexistent. It’s been 17 years since I last skied. At this point, I am pretty much a blank slate.
tigernbr

Postby ToddW » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:13 pm

tigernbr wrote:My present skiing is practically nonexistent. It’s been 17 years since I last skied. At this point, I am pretty much a blank slate.

Lucky you -- you have less "bad stuff" to unlearn.

Granby is a great place to pick up good movement patterns. Gentle slopes so that speed control isn't an issue as you work to integrate new movements and balance challenges. Good grooming. Uncrowded slopes weekdays.

As Doug said, expect to feel more than a little awkward and even foolish for the first 3 to 4 days. Try to shed your adult inhibitions and self consciousness. They really get in the way of learning new motor skills.

Have a great time at the green/blue camp!
ToddW

Return to Social Chatting