What Camps are you signing up for this year?

Friends get together

What Camps are you signing up for this year?

Postby skijim13 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:43 am

Lorie will be attending the Superblue camp
skijim13

Re: What Camps are you signing up for this year?

Postby VAskier » Tue May 02, 2017 11:00 am

I'm looking forward to signing up for my first camp this year. Hopefully, I'll be able to beat the rush when registration opens!
VAskier

Postby Vailsteve » Tue May 02, 2017 2:09 pm

Alignment camp. Prerequisite to getting a PMTS cert. Long way to go though....sigh.
Vailsteve

Postby ToddW » Tue May 02, 2017 7:14 pm

VailSteve,

Alignment tech training is a great experience. You'll never look at feet or legs the same again. (And now you'll know twelve knees by touch ;-) ). Try to get Diana to show off all the tricks her hyper-mobile feet can do. Do your homework. Study anatomy, kinesiology, and the alignment manual intensely over the summer so you grok and retain all the wisdom you'll be exposed to in Dumont.

Afterwards, remember that in warm, shorts-and-sandals weather it's considered polite to look at people's faces and speak to them no matter how much more you're drawn to the peculiarities of their feet, legs, and gait.
ToddW

Postby ToddW » Tue May 02, 2017 7:22 pm

I'll be doing Hintertux #1 again next season. Hintertux is habit forming.
ToddW

Postby skijim13 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:23 am

What is the current class progression for green PMTS certification, did not know you needed alignment camp?
skijim13

Postby midwif » Fri May 12, 2017 3:21 am

For the 3rd or maybe 4th year in a row, Jim and I are doing the January short turn camp.
We've done the Blue Camp a couple of times, I've done the old "all mountain camp" back when I had no idea of what I was doing.
Have done Super Blue.
The realization that the short turn is the real key to all mountain skiing was long in coming, but finally the message got thru.
Until I nail that sucker, I need to keep going to that camp! :lol:
midwif

Postby rnordell » Fri May 12, 2017 9:07 pm

skijim13,
Any of the camps are good prep but I found Tech Camp best for cert prep. There is often a group of people at T Camp looking to improve their teaching and MA. Alignment Camp is great to further your technical knowledge but not absolutely necessary to begin the teaching certification path. I'd contact Diana and see if she can tell by who has already signed up if it looks like there will be a group at T Camp getting ready for certification.
rnordell

Postby tigernbr » Sat May 13, 2017 3:49 am

Signing up for green/blue camp. It's my first camp and am getting back to skiing after a 15 year lapse.
tigernbr

Postby tigernbr » Mon May 15, 2017 7:03 am

As they say in the gaming world, WOOT!!! I got into the green/blue camp! :D
tigernbr

Postby DougD » Mon May 15, 2017 10:18 am

tigernbr, welcome to PMTS camping!

To get the most from your time and investment, spend the next 9 months working through as much of ACBAES1 as you can. The dryland videos on the HSS site are also valuable for non-skiing months. The better prepared you are going into camp, the more you'll get out of it.

When working through Harald's books it's important to do each drill or exercise in order. Do not skip ahead. Regardless of how simple a drill may seem, it is there for a purpose. Make sure you have mastered each drill CORRECTLY before moving on to the next.

No matter how well (or ill) prepared you are, you should arrive at camp with the expectation that the coaches will make you feel UNcomfortable. Your body will be learning unfamiliar movements... and that is always uncomfortable. The result, however, should be a revolution in your skiing. Enjoy!!
DougD

Postby tigernbr » Mon May 15, 2017 11:25 am

Thanks for the info Doug. I am about halfway through reading ACBAES1. I am just reading the content now and not doing the drills. Once I am done reading, I will go back, read again and do the drills. I've made myself a slant board and plan on buying a Bosu ball to help with balance training. I also bought and downloaded Diana's excellent dry land training video. I will also work on that. 9 months seems like a long time but I have lots to do in that time and the camp will be here before I know it. I am REALLY excited! :D
tigernbr

Postby dtrick924 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:43 am

Anyone going to the Welch Camps? I have my eye on Short Turn Camp #1 Jan 24-26 once registration opens.
dtrick924

Postby Obrules15 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:29 pm

dtrick924 wrote:Anyone going to the Welch Camps? I have my eye on Short Turn Camp #1 Jan 24-26 once registration opens.

I did the B/DB Welch Village Camp last year, after the Dec ABasin ST Camp. It was good, but I think you have to have an understanding and appreciation for the midwest, & midwest skiing. It's not ABasin, but better terrain for drilling. Did I mention an appreciation for small towns in the midwest is very helpful (I say this as a Michigan native who did a stint in the UP), it feels remote.
Obrules15

Postby dtrick924 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:39 am

Obrules15 wrote:
dtrick924 wrote:Anyone going to the Welch Camps? I have my eye on Short Turn Camp #1 Jan 24-26 once registration opens.

I did the B/DB Welch Village Camp last year, after the Dec ABasin ST Camp. It was good, but I think you have to have an understanding and appreciation for the midwest, & midwest skiing. It's not ABasin, but better terrain for drilling. Did I mention an appreciation for small towns in the midwest is very helpful (I say this as a Michigan native who did a stint in the UP), it feels remote.

I've never skied in the midwest but if the conditions are anything like New England I'll feel right at home. This review made it sound like a nice little mountain. http://braveskimom.com/minnesota-nice-our-twin-cities-skiing-experience
dtrick924

Next

Return to Social Chatting