What Camps are you signing up for this year?

Friends get together

Re: What Camps are you signing up for this year?

Postby DougD » Thu May 25, 2017 6:00 am

Obrules15 wrote:... but I think you have to have an understanding and appreciation for the midwest, & midwest skiing. It's not ABasin, but better terrain for drilling.

We're New England skiers. Despite ready access to the larger resorts in VT (which we certainly enjoy) our go-to "mountain" is Berkshire East, an 800vf hill in MA. Why? Because it has a truly ideal slope for exercises and drills. It's become our favorite trail.

Once you've been you camp, it's common to fall in love with doing drills. The improvements you make are honed by repetition. Seeing and feeling your skiing improve is every bit as fun as flailing down some black diamond on (or beyond) the edge of control.
DougD

Postby dtrick924 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:22 am

DougD wrote:
Obrules15 wrote:... but I think you have to have an understanding and appreciation for the midwest, & midwest skiing. It's not ABasin, but better terrain for drilling.

We're New England skiers. Despite ready access to the larger resorts in VT (which we certainly enjoy) our go-to "mountain" is Berkshire East, an 800vf hill in MA. Why? Because it has a truly ideal slope for exercises and drills. It's become our favorite trail.

I love Berkshire East, although I also mix in Okemo, Stratton, Mt. Sunapee and Bromley. I grew up skiing at Nashoba Valley and Mt. Wachusett in Massachusetts. ABasin has amazing terrain, and I was sad to get shut out of the short turn camp, but sometimes it feels a little silly to fly to Colorado to do drills on the same 1 or 2 trails for a week.

I also contacted Walter at Alpine Meadows (Diana's suggestion) and Jay at Skier Synergy to find out their availability for private lessons. Now it's just a matter of seeing who I hear back from first/if I can get registered before Welch camp is full.
dtrick924

Postby Obrules15 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:54 pm

DougD wrote:Seeing and feeling your skiing improve is every bit as fun as flailing down some black diamond on (or beyond) the edge of control.

I think drilling and seeing and feeling my skiing improve is WAY more fun than flailing down anything.
Obrules15

Postby Obrules15 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:01 pm

dtrick924 wrote:
Obrules15 wrote:
dtrick924 wrote:Anyone going to the Welch Camps? I have my eye on Short Turn Camp #1 Jan 24-26 once registration opens.

I did the B/DB Welch Village Camp last year, after the Dec ABasin ST Camp. It was good, but I think you have to have an understanding and appreciation for the midwest, & midwest skiing. It's not ABasin, but better terrain for drilling. Did I mention an appreciation for small towns in the midwest is very helpful (I say this as a Michigan native who did a stint in the UP), it feels remote.

I've never skied in the midwest but if the conditions are anything like New England I'll feel right at home. This review made it sound like a nice little mountain. http://braveskimom.com/minnesota-nice-our-twin-cities-skiing-experience

Conditions can be better because fewer thaw cycles & less rain but in the last 3 years I've skied 8 NE resorts, most smaller properties, and this felt remote. In NE there're are small towns but they're squished together. There, there is just not a lot going on. I really liked it, but again, I'm originally from the region so I have difficulty knowing how an outsider might evaluate it.
Obrules15

Postby ToddW » Thu May 25, 2017 4:18 pm

I had a long discussion this year with Peter, the general manager at Welch, about their snowmaking system. It is substantial (as judged by NE standards), so freeze / thaw cycles shouldn't be a big issue during the main season.

Peter is keen on using his grooming machines to create ridges and other learning tools for his ski school, race programs, and PMTS camps. This is a big plus for campers.
ToddW

Postby rwd » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:14 pm

We're going to take some private lessons with Walter in early January at Alpine Meadows. Has anyone here skied there or at Squaw Valley? Any recommendations for lodging? Looks like you either stay at Squaw or on western shore of Lake Tahoe. Typical Jan. temps? Any info appreciated.
rwd

Postby Jeet » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:38 am

Singed up to Hintertux 2, I couldn't resist after the learning experience I just had.
Jeet

Postby skijim13 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:09 am

Second camp booked Lorie and I are also going to the Short turn/bump camp. There are only three opening left for this camp.
skijim13

Postby tigernbr » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:17 am

Jim, have you skied Blue Mountain in PA? I would imagine that it is in your neck of the woods. When I lived in PA, I would go as often as I could. I lived near Philly so it wasn't always easy to plan a trip up there. In fact, the last time I skied in the last 17 years was at Blue Mountain.
tigernbr

Postby skijim13 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:35 am

Blue Mountain is my home mountain, ski every weekend there in the winter where my wife Lorie and I train PMTS there.
skijim13

Previous

Return to Social Chatting