My Friend Jeff

Friends get together

My Friend Jeff

Postby skijim13 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:13 am

Lorie and I ski every weekend, and always spend the first hour working on a PMTS skill that we then focus on the rest of the day. Both of us enjoy making round turns with speed control. Jeff was a very weak skier when he decided to get into skiing, so I spent time teaching him PMTS skills to improve. At the start of this winter he was showing great progress until his Ego took over and he believed that he was a great skier and decided he could now fly down the hill . He has taken the phantom move and converted it into steering a flat inside ski and has loss all speed control. When we ski with him he flys down the hill and is waiting for us. He now believes that speed down the mountain means good skiing. I feel bad that I spent time helping him to improve, see him to convert it getting good at skiing really badly.
skijim13

Re: My Friend Jeff

Postby marsound » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:42 am

Take him in to some bumps or crud.. :twisted:
marsound

Postby skijim13 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:28 am

Can't ski it and is not interested in trying. Told him don't bother going out West he will only ski the groomers.
skijim13

Postby Vailsteve » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:22 pm

I see this all the time here at Vail....skiers who get a bit of skill and then are "experts" flying down Avanti or Lodgepole. And then cannot stop...or turn, without a huge hard edge set. So, so,obvious how bad TTS really can be. Maybe not always, but man, is it obvious to my "getting better" PMTS eye.

After skiing with Geoffda, Diana, Jay and Bob H at camps, I KNOW how far I am from an "expert". Heck most days I am a freaking novice.

But some days...well, some days, are just awesome. Today, I took my class and we skied Lindsey's (the old International), including Pepi's face. Twice. Soft, bumpy, 2-3 inches of chopped powder, and I was able to link short radius turns all the way down. Maybe even a hint of a real BPST. Yeah me. FINALLY!!

We ripped Avanti at the end of the day, making the shortest radius turns we could possibly make. Phantom move all the way baby. Good kids and a very fun day.

Anyway, even with the lack of snow, conditions here are still surprisingly good. All run and lifts are still open, but not sure for how long. Will be heading to A Basin soon...

Vailsteve.
Vailsteve

Postby marsound » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:10 pm

It's funny how skiing off-piste/ungroomed is often essentially skiing a different resort. Crowds just disappear. I don't know what the exact ratio is, but it seems like 75 on groomers to every 1 off-trail on some days. And those are days when the snow is excellent off-trail.
marsound

Postby skijim13 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:08 am

So true, never a crowd on ungroomed, bumps, or steeps. Many people on ski the groomed runs and when it turns to crud like here in the Northeast they go home and blame the conditions, never think they just can't ski well. My wife and I have fun making turns in the wet crud as we pass the multiple yardsales around us. The steering and wide stance with flat skis does not work in these conditions.
skijim13

Postby DougD » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:12 am

Since out-of-control bombers rarely venture into the ungroomed, it's also safer to ski there. In 35 years of skiing I've been run into 3 times, always on a groomed green or easy blue.

That almost never happens on a bump run or off piste. Skiers who can't turn, adjust their line or stop at will don't often ski there. The few who try end up yard-saled or, at best, picking their way down one quad-killing hockey stop at a time.
DougD

Postby B.Mulligan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:00 pm

You know there's that scene in empire strikes back where Obi Wan admits to Luke that the real reason for Vaders fall was that he foolishly tried to teach him himself instead of leaving that up to master Yoda.
B.Mulligan

Return to Social Chatting