It's official. I suck.

Friends get together

It's official. I suck.

Postby Vailsteve » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:20 pm

So today was my first day on snow after heart surgery last April. Cleared by the docs to start skiing--hurray! Vail finally has some snow, and 1,2,3,4,8 and 19 were spinning.

Oh man. Could not tip. Tippy tip and tip some more? HA! Could not lift or tilt the inside ski. Could not find my little toe edge if it were plastered to my nose. Could not release the downhill ski when attempting a two footed release drill. Boot touch drill? I don't think I ever touched my boots. Foot pull back? What was that again? No swing pole plant? Hell, the poles were circling like a merry go round. Don't even ask about counter acting or counter balance.

Ok, it wasn't all crap city. But, who was it that said you learn to ski all over again in your first run of the day? Somebody named HH? Man, is that dude ever wrong?

And it WAS nice to finally be back on snow. So, back to Book One, page one, and truly learn to ski all over again!

Vailsteve
Vailsteve

Re: It's official. I suck.

Postby Jeet » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:49 am

@VailSteve

Stick with it buddy you'll get there. The best advice I can give (and maybe others can give some more advice) is maybe execute the movements on a tipping board. Spend a long time on the tipping board, it will pay off on the snow. Don't rush it, take your time executing each movement to perfection, it's also a good work out. PMTS will not be such a sock to your body once you get back on snow.

There is new video out on the HH Website (tipping board), it really works for me and it works for many others, I am sure it will work for you. There is also some dryland videos on the HH Youtube channel.

Good luck

Jeet
Jeet

Postby jbotti » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:43 am

Noticing when we suck that we do in fact suck is one of the most important pieces to the puzzle. Many students get the books, practice the movements and are convinced they are doing them perfectly. And then they show up at their first camp and have their first true moment of "I suck". There is no progress without the realization that the movements aren't there or aren't being executed correctly.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby reno_bob » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:53 pm

Vailsteve wrote:Oh man. Could not tip. Tippy tip and tip some more? HA! Could not lift or tilt the inside ski. Could not find my little toe edge if it were plastered to my nose. Could not release the downhill ski when attempting a two footed release drill. Boot touch drill? I don't think I ever touched my boots. Foot pull back? What was that again? No swing pole plant? Hell, the poles were circling like a merry go round. Don't even ask about counter acting or counter balance.
Vailsteve

Do you have video?
reno_bob

Postby Obrules15 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:31 pm

Vailsteve wrote:So today was my first day on snow after heart surgery last April.

Vailsteve

Though the heart surgery will ultimately improve your functioning, don't forget, it's still a massive change. Your entire circulatory system was re-routed. That has a huge impact on functioning, both because of compensation and healing.

Your lower limb vasculature wasn't carrying a full load and pretty much every cell in your body is being retrained to deal with the differential pressures, so while we think it shouldn't affect our ability to tip, it does.

It's going to take time for fine motor skills to return to their pre-op levels. Hang in there!
Obrules15

Postby DougD » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:17 pm

reno_bob wrote:
Vailsteve wrote:Oh man. Could not tip. Tippy tip and tip some more? HA! Could not lift or tilt the inside ski. Could not find my little toe edge if it were plastered to my nose. Could not release the downhill ski when attempting a two footed release drill. Boot touch drill? I don't think I ever touched my boots. Foot pull back? What was that again? No swing pole plant? Hell, the poles were circling like a merry go round. Don't even ask about counter acting or counter balance.
Vailsteve

Do you have video?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hang in there, Steve. It's like everyone's first day of camp. The sensation of not being able to do ANYTHING right is one we've all fought through.
DougD

Postby ToddW » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:19 am

Steve,

The first day back on snow or after an injury your body retreats to deeply engrained decades-old habits, and you encountered both conditions at once. Spend some time on gentle slopes making movements slowly to lure tipping and your other movements out of hibernation. It takes time at slow drills to exorcise the PSIA daemons if they repossess you over the summer.
ToddW

Postby JMD » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:23 am

Steve great to see you are back on the snow. You know you are welcome to cross Vail Pass and join us in Summit for a quick movement refresher. James
JMD

Postby milesb » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:16 am

If you spend a few minutes doing static tipping/flexing/counterbalancing/counteracting at the bottom of the lift, it should help. Then about 10 two foot releases after getting off the chair and I'm good to go.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby Vailsteve » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:12 pm

Hi all

Quick note --thanks for all the suggestions. All of you are right on.

FWIW, I have been doing many of the exercise on the tipping board-- and on snow. II have to opportunity to ski as much as I want, and I try to make each and every run a focused practice run. Not sure why, but my legs just don't have ANY pop or "life" so just seems I am skiing in frozen molasses. Only thing to do is just keep working at it....

James, thanks so much for the invite back to Summit County. I will head over to abasin ( or, are you guys skiing Loveland now?). next week...Wednesday seems like the best day for me. I am doing training Monday and Tuesday, than back in uniform Thursday and Friday.

Will pm you...

Vailsteve
Vailsteve

Return to Social Chatting