Don't drink Wine and Talk Skiing With A Ski Instructor

Friends get together

Don't drink Wine and Talk Skiing With A Ski Instructor

Postby skijim13 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:40 am

This weekend my wife and I had our annual Wine and Cheese Party, it also happened to be the same day our mountain has it ski instructor kick off meeting. Lorie and I are not teaching this year because teaching the wedge messes up our skiing. Three of the people who came to the party were so pumped up from the kick off meeting. I kept my mouth shut when they said good ski instruction is all about fun. However latter in the night a friend Sandy who teaches the Womens group was giving a dryland tip to a friend about leading with the inside half. It was late in the evening and I could not hold back, so I took out poles and showed them the drill with the stick with the tape in the center between both poles and the no swing pole touch. She told me how wrong this move was I said lets agree to disagree. However, she could not let it go and told me she needed to come out to ski with me and save me from skiing wrong. She said this method was blocking my entry into the new turn and should swing to the ski tips, the way I was using it would not allow me to lead with the inside half. I then showed her the evideo on the drill and she told me it was wrong and the pole usage was late and added that the also put you into the back seat. I was shocked on how bad her understanding of skiing is since she has put thirty years teaching and training under the PSIA she was breaking the basis laws of biomechanics.
skijim13

Re: Don't drink Wine and Talk Skiing With A Ski Instructor

Postby Jeet » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:40 am

Hi Skimjim,

I have done this when I have been drinking, so I can relate :) It's very hard to hold back especially when you are so passionate about a subject and you know 95% of skiers don't have a clue. However, I didn't show them me performing the movements myself, but I used, Harald, Hirsher, Mikela and Reilly and many more who are expert PMTS skiers.

1. Go and skii with her and then show her how its done :)

2. Get Pictures + video of the best technical skiers in the world helps. (However, sometimes the brainwashed will close their eyes or get angry)

3. Before doing number 2, agree before hand what they think and what your model is (so they cannot go back and say "no sorry that's not what I meant, this is what I meant" get this part agreed and nailed (Then with pictures and video rebut everything they just said/ or thought ). Do you agree the best skiers use a narrow stance? They say "NO". Then show Reilly + Harald. Do you agree WC skiers most of the time are setup bow leg? so the time when they show a wide stance at transition when they flatten the skii, in the belly of the turn it's very narrow, hardly any daylight in between the legs, show them hirsher. Show them the difference between the vertical and horizontal separation, pictures and video ("but look his inside boot is touching his outside knee how could he possibly have a wide stance")

4. Show them hirsher pole tap and a video how he holds the counteracting.

5. Show them Harald presenting in 2013

I have more experiences of this stuff just because of where I skii, so my phone is ready to go with video, slow-motion, Reilly, pictures and much more. Harald's Blog is awesome. You will know its working when...

1. They get pissed off and say "I don't want to talk about any longer"
2. They close their eyes
3. They stop watching and start making excuses of why the skiers you show them are making these movements and others skiers do not

But remember: Don't argue with idiots and brain washing is hard to reverse.

Jeet
Jeet

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:58 am

Jim,
Glad to hear you and Lorie are no longer teaching this year. I don’t mean to put down teaching, but I do think this will give you the opportunity to focus 100% of your snow time on your own improvement versus balancing your improvement with teaching in a PSIA setting.

Unfortunately, getting told “you’re doing it wrong” will only get worse before it gets better… and it will only get better as your skiing improves to the level where they can’t tell you “you’re doing it wrong” because they know you can ski circles around them. The attitude you’re encountering is probably worse with those who are multi-decade pin-wearers.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby skijim13 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:19 am

I agree, the only thing the pins show is that you have wasted a great deal of money on nothing. Lorie and I are just keeping our membership for the discounted lift tickets. I sure when we go to an event this year we will be told how wrong we are skiing by the PSIA expert.
skijim13

Postby ToddW » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:02 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:Jim,
Glad to hear you and Lorie are no longer teaching this year. I don’t mean to put down teaching, but I do think this will give you the opportunity to focus 100% of your snow time on your own improvement versus balancing your improvement with teaching in a PSIA setting.

Unfortunately, getting told “you’re doing it wrong” will only get worse before it gets better… and it will only get better as your skiing improves to the level where they can’t tell you “you’re doing it wrong” because they know you can ski circles around them. The attitude you’re encountering is probably worse with those who are multi-decade pin-wearers.

HeluvaSkier,

You're talking pretty big there, mister, for a "blue groomer skier." :lol:

The guys who called you that, how many decades had their pins been rusting?
ToddW

Postby Vailsteve » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:12 pm

Skijim....Teach private lessons. Lots of fun, lots of freedom, and you can get great results.

I cannot believe how just teaching the phantom move changes terminally blue skiers. Selectively add in more and more of the PMTS drills I learned at camps and from skiing with geoffda and the summit gang , and you can just see how amazed and wide eyed the guests can get...."this is almost too easy" is a comment I get a lot...

I am not a PMTS expert by any means, but Harald's step by step instructions really work. And since I wear both the red mountain ops jacket and the blue instructor jacket, I get lots of time to practice. Heck, every run is a practice run on something.

As I have posted before, I get almost no pushback any more from my supervisors...they just let me ski and teach when I want. And I don't get into ANY back and forth with our PSIA trainers.... I just ski. Pointless. Proof is on snow and in the tracks....

VailSteve.
Vailsteve

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:27 pm

ToddW wrote:HeluvaSkier,

You're talking pretty big there, mister, for a "blue groomer skier." :lol:

The guys who called you that, how many decades had their pins been rusting?

I believe the pins had been rusting for more decades than I had been on this earth.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Return to Social Chatting