Quality of skiing at inter ski!

Friends get together

Quality of skiing at inter ski!

Postby h.harb » Sun May 08, 2016 2:23 pm

Here you can clearly see the difference in skiing technique between the countries. The Austrians look mediocre, the Canadians terrible, But the Australians the best. You may not know why. But here are some clues. Watch for those that stomp the big toe edge and drive the knee, it's not working.. Leg steering especially in transition, still doesn't work and never did, it's obvious here. The light green top and dark bottoms are the US Demo team, not even showing a parallel turn. If you can't make a parallel turn; you can't teach a parallel turn. Same goes for the Canadians.
h.harb

Re: Quality of skiing at inter ski!

Postby h.harb » Mon May 09, 2016 9:09 am

If you watch the first skier look at the inside ski activity compared to the others. Even though it's often late, in catching up, due to the release, it's the dominant movement. In the skiers that follow, there is little or no inside ski tipping co-ordinated with the releasing movement. With the Japanese skier there is a strong "A" frame push. Many of these demonstrators are way off with the boot alignment. The US demonstrator is skiing solely from big toe to big toe.

In evaluating these skiers it's obvious that their training and understanding of technique does not include the consistency of movements that link arcs. The releasing foot and leg movements just don't continue to move the skier's skis into the next arc. There is no High C. Everything breaks down in the transition, they don't even understand "Release, Transfer and Engagement" which has been out since, Book 1. The only team that shows the movements that link arcs are the Australians. And you don't have to guess where that came from???
h.harb

Postby CO_Steve » Mon May 09, 2016 10:10 am

Can you give us a guide to uniforms vs countries for those of us less tuned in?
I thought the first skier looked best vs what looked like level 2 fail attempts in others.
CO_Steve

Postby skijim13 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:16 am

Just looking at the majority of skiers in the video, clearly demostrates the advantages of using PMTS to ski with.
skijim13

Postby h.harb » Mon May 09, 2016 10:43 am

First is an Ozzie in silver, red and white is Austrian, Green is US, green and red is Canada. There is some skiing here that is truly hard on the eyes, the US Team skier is unwatchable it's so poor. The guy in black, I have no idea what country, but it's horrid.
h.harb

Postby B.Mulligan » Tue May 10, 2016 8:02 am

The first demo skier with the Bright Red coat and Green pants, which is a pretty awful wardrobe choice, stems every single turn. Everyone. It'd be one thing to go with an old fashioned pivoted short swing turn, but to stem even those? wow.
B.Mulligan

Postby skijim13 » Wed May 11, 2016 3:49 am

This winter my wife Lorie and I need to take PSIA class to keep our certification (keep it for the discounts it offers on many things). I was looking at a video from our last event 3 years ago and the trainers skiing was not usning expert movements. I am sure this year they will offer both of us advice like stand up taller, move the feet farther apart, and steer more, which both of us will not follow.
skijim13

Postby deicreo » Tue May 17, 2016 12:50 am

It is worth to mention that some of the demonstrators had been in the WC and some were Olympic gold medalists.
As for example, Daniela Ceccarelli from Italian Demo Team. She is fabulous skier when it comes to gs and larger turns but her short turn... no comment.
deicreo

Postby h.harb » Tue May 17, 2016 9:36 am

Many former world cup skiers do not keep up with modern technique, nor do they refine their technique after they stop racing. Also, many ex-world cup skiers are sloppy free skiers because they put no effort into it, it's too easy. I remember coming back home from the race circuit, after a month or two and people would ask me to go out and ski. i wasn't too interested in free skiing at that point, so I would just bash everything; without giving much effort put into making good turns.
h.harb

Return to Social Chatting