PSIA Demo Team Tryouts 2017

Friends get together

PSIA Demo Team Tryouts 2017

Postby h.harb » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 am

This weak skiing is a testament to the organization's fundamental lack of understanding of modern skiing and biomechanics, poor training and standards. I would not try out for a team like this because I wouldn't want to be associated with this standard of skiing. It would take about 2 seasons of alignment, boot and technical work to make these skiers even expert skiers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcshnAyl_VJe9nfI_e1l8KA/videos?sort=dd&shelf_id=0&view=0
h.harb

Re: PSIA Demo Team Tryouts 2017

Postby VAskier » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:58 pm

My eyes are bleeding after watching a few of the vids. Yuck.
VAskier

Postby DougD » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:15 am

Ouch! I wouldn't have wanted to ski like this even before I started with PMTS.
DougD

Postby h.harb » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:43 am

What these national organizations can't face is that their own best Demo Team skiers don't use the system they teach. This is clear with Reilly and Paul L. You can't ski like them with PSIA's technical skiing progression.
h.harb

Postby skijim13 » Tue May 10, 2016 3:47 am

Just recently I got into a discussion with someone from the PSIA that was saying bad things about PMTS. I posted one of the demo team member tryouts skiers video (since these are fully certified skiers they should represent the top skiers in the organization). The person looked at the video and said that is great skiing and asked me what was wrong with it. Anyone who had good knowledge of PMTS could see all the wedge turn entries, body facing the ski tips, and rotation of upper body to start the turn. Just not high level skiing.
skijim13

Postby l2ski » Tue May 10, 2016 10:48 am

skijim13 wrote:Just recently I got into a discussion with someone from the PSIA that was saying bad things about PMTS. I posted one of the demo team member tryouts skiers video (since these are fully certified skiers they should represent the top skiers in the organization). The person looked at the video and said that is great skiing and asked me what was wrong with it. Anyone who had good knowledge of PMTS could see all the wedge turn entries, body facing the ski tips, and rotation of upper body to start the turn. Just not high level skiing.

Did you also ask the person to compare the tryouts skiers first to Reilly's recent video, and then to the recent Harb - Reilly video?
It would be interesting to know what he / she would say.
l2ski

Postby skijim13 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:23 am

The rude comments from a PSIA instructor started with the video I posted of Harald and Rielly from his camp they made together. I had used it to demostrate that all expert skiers use similar movements. He could not see good skiing and I guess he is so use to watching TTS skiing that anything else looks wrong. Once you learn PMTS you can see it quickly.
skijim13

Postby DougD » Wed May 11, 2016 5:35 am

Jim,

I wonder what response you'd get if you demoed both PMTS and PSIA short radius turns - at verrrry slow speeds - then asked a PSIA buddy to copy you. Let's say a TFR with Phantom Move finish vs. an up-unweighted, BTE-pressured, actively twisted skid.

You can do both. From camp experiences, we know that a PSIA skier will fail the PMTS turn completely. (Of course you'd have to video to convince them).

Anyone who isn't utterly close-minded would begin to realize that they DO NOT HAVE the balancing and movement skills you've developed. You can ski like they do (if you choose) but they cannot ski like you. Anyone who's serious about their skiing development should be motivated by an inability to perform what looks like (but isn't) such a simple turn.
DougD

Postby skijim13 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:02 am

Doug, great idea will have to try it and see what they say
skijim13

Postby h.harb » Thu May 12, 2016 8:57 am

In the PMTS Two Footed release, the tails of the skis do not go uphill. Watch the tails of a PSIA skier trying a two footed release, it won't be close.

PSIA is self indicting; if they want to defend the skiing of their demo Team, showing even more clearly they don't have a clue about upper skiing levels, or upper level movements, beyond their mediocre levels.

You only defend what you know, and PSIA instructors defend what they know. They are afraid of what they can't understand, which is upper levels of skiing.
h.harb

Postby geoffda » Thu May 12, 2016 10:41 am

I know its a Volkswagen commercial, but I think it depicts the situation quite exactly. If you don't know how to throw a baseball, don't bother watching; you won't get it.

geoffda

Postby B.Mulligan » Thu May 12, 2016 12:06 pm

SkiJim,

I think the best approach is to get your fellow instructors to state, clearly, what is expert skiing, what specific movements they are looking for and what, if they were demo team evaluators they'd look for specifically in a skier's mechanics. Then have them watch films of each skier, either Reilly/ Harald or Demo Team hopefuls and see if they can actually identify and tease out the movements they said matter.

I can see why you didn't get far flatly stating all experts use the same movements, what each of you meant by expert wasn't defined. After all, Thovex and Pettit are experts, too. Nail the PSIA guys down ahead of time on what movements are essential to expert skiing and then see if they can be detected in their skiing.

You might also find out ahead of time how wildly divergent there sense of expert mechanics are from your own and not waste too much time trying to convince them.
B.Mulligan

Postby h.harb » Thu May 12, 2016 1:57 pm

It's simpler than that, just ask them if they want to show parallel skiing? Then show them their skiing video. Ask them to define parallel skiing first, because they don't know.
h.harb

Postby skijim13 » Fri May 13, 2016 8:02 am

From the PSIA definitions of a parallel turn:

Key Performance Focus

Skis maintain a parallel attitude
Flexion and extension movements regulate pressure
Upper body moves in-to and out-of a subtle counter-rotated relationship
Upper body is quiet and stable with turning movements originating in the feet and legs

The problem is their system steering makes it difficult to enter the new turn with both skis parallel
skijim13

Postby B.Mulligan » Mon May 16, 2016 5:41 am

Parallel Attitude?

"Man, I can't ski parallel, but i got a parallel attitude, and that's what it's all about!" :?
B.Mulligan

Next

Return to Social Chatting