Level 2 IASI Short turns - More like level -2

Friends get together

Level 2 IASI Short turns - More like level -2

Postby Jeet » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:20 am

Hi Guys,

This is the state of UK skiing (Vid below). Not that I think I am much better (I have a lot work to do with PMTS (my SMIM at moment = flexing to get out of turns)), PMTS is my savior and I love skiing because of PMTS. This would have been me, clueless, frustrated and I would have quit the sport all together.

When I look at the skiing below, I am very great full to have come across PMTS, Harald and the information on this forum. I think this just a "Oh come on man" type video. It's very sad that they think this is decent skiing. I don't get it, they all love Reilly and think he is great skier but their movements are nothing like his.

These guys must of been gutted when they saw the video with Reilly and Harald skiing (Thinking dam, Reilly follows PMTS and PMTS does not advocate any rotational movements of the stance leg).

Jeet

Re: Level 2 IASI Short turns - More like level -2

Postby Jeet » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:22 am

Weird that Reilly like the video on FB, I am guessing it's Political.
Jeet

Postby h.harb » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:21 am

There isn't much wrong with this skiing as long as you want to ski without 3 of the 5 Essentials. CA, CB and tipping. I am being kind, there is a hint of fore/aft balance and some flexing. But the flexing is opposite of what we do in PMTS Direct Parallel in this video they use extending up and flexing down. PMTS is flexing down to increase flexing and tipping to the side. There is none of this going on in any of these skiers. Level 2, OK they don't have to be great skiers, but they should show correct movements. We can generate them in recreational skiers who ski 1 to 2 weeks a year. So why can't a whole ski teaching organization get it done with their instructors????????? Because they don't know!!!!!!!!
h.harb

Postby B.Mulligan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:54 am

Sad thing is that these level 2 hopefuls look better than the people in the psia demo team tryout videos!
B.Mulligan

Postby CO_Steve » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:29 am

I was wondering if the demo instructors were "dumbing down" their skiing for the candidates or if they actually ski that way.
CO_Steve

Postby Basil j » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:31 am

Interesting video. A couple of things I see that are problematic here in relating to high level skiing:
All skiers except for 1 followed their tips throughout every turn.
I see a flexing movement to load the ski at the end of each turn so they can extend and release to start the new turn.
The skiing appears quite 2 footed with no counter rotation or commitment to the outside ski.
It is also tough to ski loose when you know you are being filmed so I understand that these skiers may skier"more freely" when not on camera, but they all share the same issues, so I can only blame stage fright so much.
I guess for the general masses that are unaware of PMTS , this is good skiing.
Personally to me they all look like intermediates at best and I would not pay someone who skis like this to teach me any skiing, thank you very much.
Basil j

Postby DougD » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:12 am

Basil j wrote:I see a flexing movement to load the ski at the end of each turn so they can extend and release to start the new turn.

Agree with all you wrote except this. Flexing doesn't load the ski, it unloads it.

HH summarized their mis-use of flexion/extension.
DougD

Postby Basil j » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:05 am

Okay, I used the wrong terminology here.let me try again. Good catch.
I see a little move that incorporates a knee bend at the end of the turn that leads to a a push off to release the edge with extension.
Basil j

Postby h.harb » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Skiing with movements like this never gets better when you try to raise the level or terrain. These are engrained movements. Couldn't even fake skiing this bad if I tried.

See for yourself:
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:25 pm

What is even more revealing is that they actually believe this is good skiing. Do these people not watch good skiing or see it anywhere? Are they locked in a bubble with ugly skiing as their model? This organization isn't far removed from BASI. We saw enough of that in Austria to fill years of ugly skiing.

IASI Alpine Trainers enjoying the mountain playground
Parallel Dreams Coaching
Filmed at Les Grands Montets, Chamonix and Les Contamines, Evasion Mont Blanc in April 2016 this video features the skiing of IASI Alpine Trainers; Shona Tate, Federico Sollini, Dee O'Neill and Derek Tate. The skiing shows performances across a range of conditions including variable/off piste, piste - carving and short turns. These are all aspects of performance that are developed on IASI instructor courses.

REALLY???? Never want to be in one of those courses!
h.harb

Postby Jjmdane » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:44 pm

Amazing disassociation from reality; at least some of them have mastered the A frame.
Jjmdane

Postby B.Mulligan » Mon May 02, 2016 6:02 am

Oh, I just checked out what the IASI stands for. It's the IRISH demo team, I mean maybe we can cut the Irish some slack. The people in this video might represent the entirety of the Irish population that skis at all :D
B.Mulligan

Postby B.Mulligan » Mon May 02, 2016 6:02 am

Oh, I just checked out what the IASI stands for. It's the IRISH demo team, I mean maybe we can cut the Irish some slack. The people in this video might represent the entirety of the Irish population that skis at all :D

And looking at their free skiing video, I'll reiterate that as primitive as they look, they look better than the USA demo team tryouts posted below. And, at least the Irish can fall back on the fact that they lack a single true mountain or ski area, and lack the depth of consistent wealth to produce a skiing public. The North Americans are blessed with a transcontinental bounty of the greatest ski areas on the planet, a vast skiing public, a national race team, money, sponsors, and they can barely ski with the Irish.
B.Mulligan

Postby h.harb » Mon May 02, 2016 5:19 pm

Cut them slack for what, being bad skiers and having a bad system? They teach this stuff to paying customers. They can use any system they want, yet they choose to use a system that promotes all the worst movements. I like Irish as much as the next guy, but they should be teaching how to make Irish Whisky something they know, but not skiing. Same goes for the British. Non of these people ski in Ireland anyway, they all either ski or live in the Alps. I agree the US Demo Team isn't much better, that's not the issue. Bad instruction be-gets bad skiing. The issue is bad ski instruction..

BTW. It's not about the Irish, they could be Turks, it much doesn't matter, it's about the skiing and who is getting screwed from this kind of lesson.
h.harb

Postby B.Mulligan » Mon May 02, 2016 5:41 pm

I know, I was just sharing my surprised amusement that there is an Irish ski instructor alliance.
B.Mulligan

Next

Return to Social Chatting