Essentials question

Friends get together

Essentials question

Postby gaku » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:04 am

If one has gone through ACBAES 1 & 2, do you recommend bying the Essentials Library (Tipping, Upper-body, Fore/Aft), or the Essentials book with free DVD [how much does this include compared to the Library DVDs?] as the next step?
gaku

Re: Essentials question

Postby Max_501 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:36 pm

If you've mastered the material in Books 1 and 2 then the next step is the Essentials book and all the Essentials DVDs.
Max_501

Postby skijim13 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:15 am

My advise is to validate that you have really mastered what you learned in the first two books, by either video analysis or attending the camps. From my experience is that each new movement has a more to that you would think to do it exactly correctly. I have learned this from experience, being very good at putting things into my head from reading does not mean my body is doing what I think it is. One skill I have been working on is CA, this skill is difficult to get correctly and requires many hours of drills with external cues.
skijim13

Postby jbotti » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:29 pm

John Coltrane once said that everyone would play/sound like Stan Getz if they could. The same could be said about CA, If it was easy everyone would have it all the time in their skiing. For most it takes years to fully command.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby gaku » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:37 pm

skijim13 wrote:My advise is to validate that you have really mastered what you learned in the first two books, by either video analysis or attending the camps. From my experience is that each new movement has a more to that you would think to do it exactly correctly. I have learned this from experience, being very good at putting things into my head from reading does not mean my body is doing what I think it is. One skill I have been working on is CA, this skill is difficult to get correctly and requires many hours of drills with external cues.

I normally ski alone or with friends who don't want to do "geek" stuff like video analysis, so unfortunately it's been a while since I got any footage up. I WILL get some footage up now this Easter, though, or I'll be really disappointed :!: I think my skiing has improved quite a bit since last time (given I was out an entire season with injury), but I'm still far away from where I want to go, or from reaching PMTS expert levels (if only my feet could do what my mind instructed it to :lol:).

jbotti wrote:John Coltrane once said that everyone would play/sound like Stan Getz if they could. The same could be said about CA, If it was easy everyone would have it all the time in their skiing. For most it takes years to fully command.

Possibly due to my hockey background ( a lot of hip awareness necessary), but CA strikes me as the easiest movement of the essentials to time, initiate and develop appropriately. I have much more trouble with CB and getting the right amount relative to the tipping occuring. To each his own.

Max_501 wrote:If you've mastered the material in Books 1 and 2 then the next step is the Essentials book and all the Essentials DVDs.

I won't be so naive or disillusioned to think I've mastered the material in ACBAES 1 & 2, but I think I've reached a level of proficiency where getting a more in-depth look into how the movements relate will help me during self-assessments on the slope. I just went ahead and ordered the DVDs, to get visual learning to complement the kinesthetic and R/W(reading and writing) learning already taking place, and I'm finding it very useful. Can't wait to test some of the "new" drills.
gaku

Postby Max_501 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:33 pm

Those of us that ski at an advanced level have made extensive use of a coach and/or video.
Max_501

Return to Social Chatting