PMTS in the Roaring Fork (new digs report)

Friends get together

PMTS in the Roaring Fork (new digs report)

Postby CO_Steve » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:22 am

So this year we moved from Summit County to Carbondale, near Aspen/Snowmass. I was curious what the skiing would be like over here compared to Summit where absent the PMTS gang the skiing is pretty abysmal. Early season the only choices were Ajax with limited terrain and download or Snowmass. Snowmass had top to bottom skiing so we chose to go there for the first couple of weeks. Things were very uncrowded, a welcome change. Quickly I discovered my first difference. Usually at a Vail resort if a trail is open it's pretty well covered. Not guaranteed perfect but more or less ok. Not true with SkiCo. Here open means if you ski this trail there will be a running lift to take you back up. That's all. I've seen 8" of unpacked snow on dirt and rocks as open. The bushes are sticking out to knee high. Skier beware. Even runs with some snowmaking and much better coverage were somewhat rocky. I've turned my pristine $100 ski swap find Supershapes into rock skis in a week. Early season grooming at Snowmass is marginal as well. Trails marked groomed might not have been touched for a couple of days. Trying to carve rough, bumpy snow on early season legs provided a glimpse into my lack of ski fitness.

Early season means lots of ski school clinics. SM was full of ski school groups, often outnumbering the paying customers. Nothing special to report here, the same sort of ski school skiing I was used to seeing in Summit. Some folks in SS jackets were truly bad skiers. Wedge entries, lots of rotation, inside ski, you know the drill.

After some more new snow we decided to try the other areas. First up was Ajax (the mountain in Aspen). First off grooming was light years better. Very nice snow. Still lots of ski school clinics but now these people seem to have a clue. I see groups doing one footed drills and what appeared to be counteracting drills. Ok, maybe SM is where they dump the low level instructors.

Next day we get a late start so we decide to try Buttermilk . Supposed to be the beginner mountain but we find 2k vertical of perfect soft groomers with a foot of day old near untracked on the edges. For you Keystone skiers imagine 2k of Hoodoo. Arrive at 11:30 and park 50 feet from the front. I like this. Some lessons on the hill again showing focus on what might be considered PMTS skills. I even got a callout from an instructor teaching a private pointing and telling his student to watch.

Highlands next. Sign says parking M-F $12, S-S free. I still can't get used to this weekends are the least crowded thing. That's just wrong. If BM is 2k of Hoodoo Highlands is 2k of Rictor. Stop to watch a ski school clinic and the leader is yelling at the students to stay flexed during transition. He demonstrates and he can ski. Nothing like I saw at SM.

So is the Roaring Fork Valley PMTS heaven? No not really, but the skiing here is better than Summit from my PMTS eyes. Very few here on 100+ rockered skis either. Most people seem to ski something 85-95 with at least some traditional camber. Of course the holiday tourists haven't hit yet and when you name a run the Dallas Expressway one might guess what's coming.
CO_Steve

Re: PMTS in the Roaring Fork (new digs report)

Postby Vailsteve » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi Steve

Vailsteve here. Sorry you are gone. Nice to see the comment about grooming and Vail Resorts. Maybe they can do a few things right...Vail is sking spectacularly right now. The snow is just wonderful. 3 inches of new powder dumped in about 2 hours this afternoon. And more is coming. 'Twas awesome, awesome skiing today.

Still fighting the PSIA methods but with me teaching mostly privates now allows for a LOT of freedom. There are now at least 4 PMTS adherents in the locker room...we often meet up for the morning milk run and try out best to imitate HH and Diana. Definitely getting better...and getting noticed. We ski differently...

Enjoy Aspen!!

Vailsteve
Vailsteve

Re: PMTS in the Roaring Fork (new digs report)

Postby Skibunny73 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:42 am

My husband (skijim13) and I just returned from short turn camp at Abasin, CO. We stayed at Keystone but only skied there one day. The snow at A-Basin was better than at Keystone. The crowds were definitely noticeable on the weekends and even during the week. Now that we have returned to our home mountain back in Pennsylvania, we are finding it increasingly difficult to practice PMTS due to really bad snow conditions, over crowded trails and the ever present danger by skiers/boarders who don't know how to turn, stop, avoid people downhill etc.

We often see people looking at us with complexity trying to figure out what we are doing so different than everyone else. They can see that we ski differently, they just don't know how or why. Especially our friends from the ski school where we both used to work. My skiing wasn't getting any better being stuck in a wedge all day. My skiing has changed drastically and it wasn't due to PSIA's help. It was all due to PMTS, HH and DR. The utmost greatest appreciation for them and what they are doing for the skiing world. THANK YOU from the Farina's in PA
Skibunny73

Return to Social Chatting