Lack of knowledge on pole usage

Friends get together

Lack of knowledge on pole usage

Postby skijim13 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:08 am

This year I am making are real effort to improve my pole usage. I got into a discussion with some of my PSIA friends and got funny comments. My favorite is that pole usage is a waste of time due to the design of modern skis, another instructor said that they should not teach it to their students you will confuse them, each level 3 ski instructor (sampled 3) had a different idea and all were not correct. Conclusion is that an important component of high level skiing requires correct usage of poles and none of these instructors are high level skiers.
skijim13

Re: Lack of knowledge on pole usage

Postby DougD » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:27 am

Also one of my focus areas for this season. CA + CB + NSPP = effective upper body, and the slantboard helps train them all, as we're both discovering!

Try this on your PSIA buddy: if pole usage is a "waste of time", why do Hirscher, Fenninger, Schiffrin, etc. use them? Does he ski better/faster than they do by not using poles? :lol:
DougD

Re: Lack of knowledge on pole usage

Postby ToddW » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:10 am

Jim,

The proper function of pointy ended ski poles is to keep rabid snowboarders at bay. Their secondary function is to be a source of embarrassment to campers when PMTS coaches take away a camper's ski poles "for your own good :-)" The level
3 guys and gals have gliding wedges and pivot slips to embarrass skiers with, so poles are a low priority.
ToddW

Return to Social Chatting