WHY THE PURE CARVED TURN IS SO YESTERDAY

Friends get together

WHY THE PURE CARVED TURN IS SO YESTERDAY

Postby Jeet » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:27 am

Hi Guys,

This is an article posted by Peter Gillespie the chap who heads up the indoor Snow Center in my local area. Check out the article (talks about rotation). Sometimes I feel like this is intended for me as I champion PMTS, (I am not liked for it). PMTS has grown in popularity as more and more skiers are aware of PMTS (if they skii it, that's a another story).

http://skimoves.me/2015/10/12/why-the-p ... .publishes

Would be great to get your comments. I do know the brush carve is harder turn to accomplish which leads to the bullet proof turn needed for all mountain skiing.

Thanks in advance

Jeet
Jeet

Re: WHY THE PURE CARVED TURN IS SO YESTERDAY

Postby milesb » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:32 am

I must be a dumbass, that article made no sense to me.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Re: WHY THE PURE CARVED TURN IS SO YESTERDAY

Postby geoffda » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:14 am

The author of the article is apparently advocating standing up on the LTE and rotating the old stance leg femur (along with inclining the upper body) as a way to start a turn. Presumably this is supposed to create some sort of drift at the top of the turn? It isn't clear from the article why you would want to generally ski this way--particularly because if you manage to actually do this you will be giving up all control at the top of the turn by inducing a skid. Interestingly, the supposed demonstration of this technique appears to be showing a pure carved turn, which further muddies understanding of the author's point.

With the exception of transferring balance to the LTE, everything discussed in this article is the opposite of what we do in PMTS. We practice flexing to release, and flexing and tipping to engage. We don't extend, stand up, or push against our skis and we certainly don't try to actively rotate our femurs to start the turn. Tipping movements cause more than enough femoral rotation--we don't try to add to it. When you ski the PMTS way, brushed carves are created through differential tipping. If you want to know how to create a brushed carve, read Expert Skier 2 and search the forum for "brushed carve". There are a ton of posts explaining how to brush carve.
geoffda

Return to Social Chatting