Peter Gurshler

Friends get together

Peter Gurshler

Postby skijim13 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:35 am

I was on a skiing forum and made a comment about a drill that was teaching extension to exit turns, I commented that flexing to release is a more efficient move. I got into a text message discussion with Peter he said "I am at the highest level in Austria, and flexing to release is old school" The name sounded familiar and I remember a racer at my mountain taking a class with him now when he skis his arms move in and out and he looks like a bird.
skijim13

Re: Peter Gurshler

Postby DougD » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:28 am

skijim13 wrote:"I am at the highest level in Austria... "

That's odd... I thought the highest level Austrian skiers were named Hirscher and Fenninger. Herr Gerschler, zeigen Sie uns Ihre Kristallkugel! :lol:

skimjim13 wrote:... flexing to release is old school"

He's half right. I free-skied with Klammer and another retired Austrian WC racer about 20 years ago. They made SL-to-GS sized turns all day long (politely allowing the rest of us to keep up!) and they flexed to release every one. Klammer free-skied bumps, trees and groomers like water flowing downhill... utterly remarkable and only possible by flexing to release.

Flexing to release was optimal on old, straight skis, if you were good enough. It's even more optimal on modern skis, which make it accessible to skiers at every level.
DougD

Postby h.harb » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:39 pm

And if Hirscher is using old school, I'm all in. :D :D :D Old school can not be older than Hannes Schneider, ask him if he was there? My father was there and he still tells me they were all about up and around. That is as old as it gets. My Dad is old school Austrian.

I guess old school to some, depends totally on when you were learning relative to the present. I've seen lots of schools go by and "good" old school, is still new school. :D :D
h.harb

Postby DougD » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:13 pm

Let's bring back Arlberg... not! :lol:
DougD

Return to Social Chatting