Learning PMTS Makes Skiing More Fun

Friends get together

Learning PMTS Makes Skiing More Fun

Postby skijim13 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:46 pm

I just returned from a ski trip in Mammoth and was astounded with the improvement in both my wife’s and my performance after attending our first Superblue camp in January. The trip leader belongs to our ski club and brought about 40 skiers on this trip. The trip leader had been teaching skiing for 20 years and believes he is an expert and gives at quick tips to the people on the trip, like put your hands in front or turn your skis quicker none of the tips really gave anyone much improvement and people flew down the hills out of control. He does not believe in counteracting moves and says you should be square to your skis. However, using the skills we learned in camp such as holding your counter, flexing into your turns and other skills have made a huge change in our performance in the steeps and ungroomed terrain. This is the first time I was able to connect turns and completely control my speed on the double black diamond runs of Mammoth. Lorie said she had the best time on this ski trip, due to the fact she could ski terrain she always wanted to. The highpoint for her was making it down the double black diamond run Climax under control. We can only imagine how much more fun it will be when our skills improve each year from more training. My wife and I also got to Ski for two days with a fellow PMTS skier Art, we all had a great time together. It was fun to see other people on the mountain watching us since we ski differently than other skiers on the mountain.
skijim13

Re: Learning PMTS Makes Skiing More Fun

Postby Max_501 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:10 pm

skijim13 wrote:He does not believe in counteracting moves and says you should be square to your skis.

If you want to have some fun ask him why WC racers AND WC mogul skiers use very strong CB and CA.
Max_501

Postby JerryS » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:02 pm

skijim13 wrote: He does not believe in counteracting moves and says you should be square to your skis.

I ran into similar this year. A friend and I would hire a local coach for our 11 year olds . . . this year he went out of his way to explain to us how counter was out and now you only have to square up to your skis and let you skis do the work. So all of a sudden in one year he tossed out what he's been doing for 20 years, and is following some new mantra that he's picked up.
JerryS

Postby skijim13 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:56 am

Great point Max I will ask him that question about the CA, CB. Lorie and I just got our copies of 32 degrees (PSIA publication) its sad to see the photos of their top skiers with CA or CB, wide stance, inside foot foward, poles tucked next to their bodies, and skies at different edge angles. If the top people of the group serve as models for the lower level people in the group what do you expect from the instructors.
skijim13

Postby NoCleverName » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:57 am

JerryS wrote:
skijim13 wrote: He does not believe in counteracting moves and says you should be square to your skis.

this year he went out of his way to explain to us how counter was out and now you only have to square up to your skis and let you skis do the work.

It's all part of a left-wing (or is it right-wing?) plot to reduce the number of skiers and thus reduce the number of people concerned about global warming. :twisted:
NoCleverName

Return to Social Chatting