Italian demo team

Friends get together

Italian demo team

Postby Basil j » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:49 pm

HH mentioned how talented the Italians are. I came across this video today. The skier at 1:14 in particular, very smooth with good flexing, tipping and smooth skiing. Not pure PMTS, but none the less very aesthetically appealing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 4IML8#t=74
Basil j

Re: Italian demo team

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:56 pm

I've never been a huge fan of the Italian Demo Team's skiing... and the link is definitely not using PMTS movements.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby CO_Steve » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:14 pm

Did you notice HH's comments below the video?
CO_Steve

Postby Basil j » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:36 pm

I agree, not PMTS, but none the less, what I see with the skier at 1:14 is excellent release with no push whatsoever. He flattens his skis patiently for every turn and his inside edge matches his outside edge nicely. He holds the turn nicely to the finish. OR am I way off here?? Yeah there is lean and some of them use extension. I did not want to comment on the whole video, rather just that section at 1:14 to 1:29. I don't write off all non PMTS skiing but rather try to hone my MA skills on all sorts of skiing with the hope that If I can identify PMTS and None PMTS movements in high level skiing of all sorts, I can identify and avoid movements I don't want and identify good movements when I do see them. Is it possible to identify some PMTS movements in skiers even if they don't use all of them or is it all or nothing? I think it is possible to perform some movements without encompassing them all. That skier may not be a "PMTS" skier in the pure sense for some on this board, but I thought his ability to release and flatten his ski was solid.
Basil j

Postby Max_501 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Basil j wrote:I agree, not PMTS...

Go to the youtube video and read HH's comments. Extension, extension, extension.
Max_501

Italian demo skiing

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:11 pm

[merged post from main PMTS forum]

Am I mistaken or was there a video post just up, with Italian Demo Team skiing?? Well whatever, it's not even good skiing, let alone PMTS. The skier in the video has great potential, but his technique will never let him realize it. Look at the photo above, everyone with a different approach and the alignment is totally off. PMTS has much higher standards then this. Those that don't see the difference have not developed the eye or the tools to identify good PMTS skiing, yet.
h.harb

Postby Basil j » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:58 am

I was merely commenting on one particular portion of the video in regards to what I thought was excellent release. Just one element of pmts. I guess my untrained eye still needs work.
Basil j

Postby h.harb » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:18 am

There is a practical point to all this. Why try to learn two different ways of skiing when one "PMTS system" will serve you in all conditions with the same movements? If you extend like the guy in the video; you will get eaten alive in bumps and steeps. On easy, blue groomed runs, sure you have time to extend because you won't pick up much speed and you have room to make larger arcs and turns. Harb Ski Systems offers short turn camps because people can't make short turns. Why? Because in most cases they extend to release, like the guy in the video.

Folks, please remember, most of these skiers ski everyday most of their lives, they have time to learn how to adapt and use different techniques. Most recreational skiers ski 10 to 30 days a year, there is no way you can learn to adapt and have a different technique, (most of which don't even work) for every type of surface and condition.
h.harb

Return to Social Chatting