Ski Instructors Lack of Knowledge of Skiing

Friends get together

Ski Instructors Lack of Knowledge of Skiing

Postby skijim13 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:21 am

I was having my annual Wine and Cheese party at my home with friends from the ski club as well as other friends. One of my friends who skis was interested in seeing my tipping board and teeter board I had built. I showed he the high ski balance on the board and other moves I do on the board. A person who has dedicated his life to skiing and teaching full time for the past 20 years, was at the party and saw what we were doing, he quickly came over and demonstrated the move with a super wide stance and after a long discussion still would not admit you can carve without a wide stance. I next annoyed him further by showing him my sponge and nerf ball, and told him I use them to practice short radius turns with. He said there was nothing right about that move and it was old school. The lack understanding out there in ski instruction is sad. My favorite move which I see at my mountain is to have the students lay on their back while the instructor turns their feet to feel rotary movements. Another great one I often hear from other ski instructors is with the wider skis you need to ski differently, the key is to widen your stance to make better turns. If you are the general public and you believe ski instructors know about skiing which one do you listen to? The person who tells you to widen your stance or narrow your stance? Should you tip your skis with no rotary input or should you turn your skis? I can see why most people don't have much value in current ski instruction.
skijim13

Re: Ski Instructors Lack of Knowledge of Skiing

Postby Basil j » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:44 pm

I see what you are saying but 90% of the population takes ski instructor direction as Gospel. If students took the time to research and learn about systems like PMTS, and understand that they have options, then the pressure of performance may shift to the instructor instead of the student. I see instructors all the time that teach that are mediocre intermediate skiers at best, but if they have the jacket and the badges, then they must know what they are doing, right? :roll:
Basil j

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:05 pm

Send him my way Jim... Entrenched ski instructors are a specialty of mine. :lol:
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:06 pm

...but if you do send him my way... please send him with wine. I'll send him back with whine. :mrgreen:
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby krazzy legs » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:13 pm

It just makes sense the majority of instruction is going to be bad. The herd is dumber then the dumbest person in it & it really shows in ski instruction. I have seen instructors have their students stand tall & reach their arms high over head in transition then crutch down low during the turn. The whole education bubble has resulted in no one wanting to think instead everyone wants to learn. The majority of skiers would be better off if instead of trying to learn to ski if instead they think of the best way to ski. I have been skiing for a lot of years & I truly believe Harold has nailed it.
krazzy legs

Postby skijim13 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:22 am

Harald is the true skiing expert and if you follow him and Dianna your skiing will improve.
skijim13

Return to Social Chatting