This is a Waste of Time: Waist Steering - Ted Ligety

Friends get together

This is a Waste of Time: Waist Steering - Ted Ligety

Postby Jeet » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:15 am

Hi Guys,

Has anyone got any comments on this video or could shed some light on what he is talking about. I know this is not PMTS as Harald has already commented on this video.

No links to bad information will be tolerated on this site, please refrain from doing this in the future.HH

I don't like this guys attitude it's the way he replies to comments.

Jeet
Jeet

Re: Waist Steering - Ted Ligety

Postby skifastDDS » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:07 am

If you do a search for FASTMAN you'll find past discussions of this topic and its proponents. They are not favorable discussions, and this video is quite far from PMTS.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
skifastDDS

Postby jbotti » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:47 am

Yes, this is a total waste of time.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:57 am

If you go down this road, you are doomed, it will ruin your skiing forever, and it's contrary to everything that's right about skiing. No one can ski like Ted! This guy "Hip Steering" has been trying to sell this for years. He is another charlatan trying way too hard to impress, while hurting skiers. Not one of the Austrians skis like this and it's totally out of context for recreational skiers. Sure you will see skiers using hip rotation, that's what this really is, and they do struggle with everything from short turns, to bumps and speed control. Like our us ski team slalom skiers. There are many things you can do to improve your skiing that will bring instant positive results. This isn't one of them. But then who am I to stop anyone from doing this? It will make a difference in your skiing I guarantee you that.

What is amazing about ski instruction and coaching is that some people out there try to teach what is already a detrimental movement that holds skiers back. Look at the US Ski Team men's Head coach, he says, Steering movements, leg rotation are missing in our National Team slalom skiing. However when you watch our slalom skiers, who make the cut, top 30 second run, they have too much ski twisting and steering. They already have this movement and way too much of it. What the US ski team coaches don't get is our racers are missing a release with tipping movements.

In a technical presentation recently, the US Men's Head Coach pointed out what he thought were the most import concepts used by a world class slalom skier. That list didn't include a transition or tipping movements. How can you even pretend to be a ski coach, without strong emphasis on these two Essentials? What that demonstrates is that this coach doesn't get world cup skiing.

You can't coach or become a world class slalom skier without these movements. Yet the US Ski Team wants 'more" emphasis on leg twisting to re-direct the skis. How idiotic is that? It's hard to fathom.

Same goes for hip rotation, everyone already has too much of it and are using it incorrectly, why? Because they never learned how to CA properly first. If you know how to CA, you can feed in some hip follow, hip follow is totally different than hip rotation. in "big turns", some hip follow is necessary, this is due to the nature of the body's amount of femur range of motion. This is a given, it has to happen or you can no longer keep tipping your legs in long turns. So hip follow in long turns does happen, but it's not a necessary technique if you are using CAing and tipping.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:00 am

Jeet, so why do you bring it here? I added the revised post title. If this made any sense and was in any way useful to skiers. PMTS would be describing and using it.
h.harb

Re: This is a Waste of Time: Waist Steering - Ted Ligety

Postby Jeet » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:09 am

Hahah change of title - I like it. First off apologies to linking the vid (linking to bad content). Why I brought it here was because to get your guys take on it. Waist movements were slightly unclear to me in the vid I thought it may link to the counter movement used in PMTS.

Ok, this post is done and dusted. As skifastDDS mentioned, I can find out more my doing typing in the correct search term.

Jeet
Jeet

Re: This is a Waste of Time: Waist Steering - Ted Ligety

Postby deicreo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:49 pm

Jeet wrote
Hahah change of title - I like it

I like it as well. This forum is kept disciplined for our sake. For everyone wanting to ski better.

"Waisting steering"... what a drama. Do not have to ask how many people get believed in it. Scientific alike statements, I believe taken out of context statements of Ted, Tai Chi master !!! and 'ok' some meaningful skiing achievments of this guy in amateur skiing (Nastar).

Drama is that average skier looking for an instruction has barely no chances to defend himself from this kind of shamans.
deicreo

Return to Social Chatting