A-Basin Opening Day

Friends get together

A-Basin Opening Day

Postby JMD » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:33 pm

It's official. A-Basin is opening for the ski season this Friday October 17th. WROD only. Be prepared for big crowds, long lift lines, dangerously congested run. But the season begins.
JMD

Re: A-Basin Opening Day

Postby JBurke » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Does anyone know how the morning snow conditions currently are at A-Basin? I'm a little concerned about icy conditions in the morning.
Looking at the A-Basin web cam, it looks like the lift line has shortened considerably in the past few days; but would Keystone be better (less crowded) for PMTS practice?
JBurke

Postby Vailsteve » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:53 pm

The summit gang --Geoff, James, Spark, Irwin and his wife, and me in the rear, have been sking there all week. Rich also showed up today. The snow is actually in very good,(admittedly early season) condition. With Keystone opening today, the lift lines have dropped comsiderably compared to earlier this week. The Lenowee lift should open by Sunday--opening up a lot more of the mountain.

My humble opinion it would be much better to ski the Basin than to fight the white ribbon of death at Keystone. The parking lot at Keystone was JAMMED today.

Vailsteve.
Vailsteve

Postby JBurke » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks very much Steve. I'll be heading out Monday.
JBurke

Postby dan.boisvert » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:41 pm

Will you guys be there this week, too? I'm coming in for short turns camp, and it'd be fun to meet you all. I'm tentatively planning to be at A Basin on Friday, to start remembering which end of my skis is the front before having to put them on in front of other people.
dan.boisvert

Postby Vailsteve » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:44 pm

Welcome Dave. Yes summit gang skis almost every day at ABasin until the Montezuma and Peru lifts open at Keystone. Usually no weekends though. Great group and I guarantee you will learn a few things.

I will be at the tech camp next week and then the short turn camp the following week. Then for me, it is time to go work at Vail. Looking forward to seeing you at the short turn camp!

Vailsteve
Vailsteve

Postby Vailsteve » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:47 pm

Oops sorry Dan. My bad.

Vailsteve.
Vailsteve

Postby dan.boisvert » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:27 am

Sounds great to me. How would I meet/find you when I get there?

Looking forward to meeting you all, and assigning faces to names. :)
dan.boisvert

Postby JMD » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi Dan. Several of the local group (Steve-Irwin-Spark and Rich) are attending this weeks tech camp. Geoff and I (James) will be at the A-Basin lift at 9am ready for opening. I am easy to spot with my Orange and Blue (Gator) helmet and blue soft shell. Look for us. JMD
JMD

Return to Social Chatting