This is great ski

Friends get together

Re: This is great ski

Postby Basil j » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:20 am

I only see extension at 2:19 in larger turns I believe more due to the rebound of the ski launching him. He has very good release and is well flexed for most of the duration of this vid.
Basil j

Postby blackthorn » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:29 pm

I think he is extending late in the turn, before transition and edge change. This is creating some need to push out his skis in the high C for them to engage, then late edge set.
blackthorn

Postby Max_501 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:09 pm

blackthorn wrote:I think he is extending late in the turn, before transition and edge change. This is creating some need to push out his skis in the high C for them to engage, then late edge set.

Watch the footage frame by frame and see if you come to the same conclusion.
Max_501

Postby blackthorn » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:12 pm

It is not just one thing that is non PMTS. For instance, there is often very little pull back in transition. I think that the last sequence is one that shows up the sort of trouble this type of skiing can produce when the terrain is more difficult.
blackthorn

Postby jepoupatout » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:21 pm

I think his weak side is when he turn left and occasionnaly he compensate by extension and knee driving.
However generally he has a good flexion in transtion and done properly we do not see extension and no knee driving.
jepoupatout

Postby Max_501 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:13 pm

blackthorn wrote:It is not just one thing that is non PMTS. For instance, there is often very little pull back in transition. I think that the last sequence is one that shows up the sort of trouble this type of skiing can produce when the terrain is more difficult.

Don't over complicate this. Go back and watch just the first segment of skiing. What do you see?
Max_501

Postby arothafel » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:16 pm

Thanks Max501 for making us figure it out. I'm really trying to get better at MA so this is helpful.

This image is of his very first 2 turns in the video as suggested.

Here's what I see:
Frame #1 - He looks extended too early.
Frame #2 - Now, however, his stance leg is flexed...? So he's flexing at the end of the turn?
Frame #3 - Seems like a bit of an "up" move instead of staying flexed. It seems to lead into his extension of the next turn. Maybe this is being hyper-critical?
Frame #4 - Same as #1 where the stance leg appears to be extended
Frame #5 - Now the stance is beginning to flex
Frame #6 - Seems like the same as #2 where he's flexed at the end of the turn.

So, to my eye, this is the opposite of PMTS where we remain flexed and build pressure through the turn and whatever extension occurs is at the end of the turn just before release.
arothafel

Postby Max_501 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:26 pm

arothafel wrote:...and whatever extension occurs is at the end of the turn just before release.

Where are you getting this info? Maximum leg length will usually be reached around the apex. The release will typically be progressive which means the leg flexes gradually at the bottom of the of arc to release, with max flexion held during the transition.

Take a look at pages 9-11 and 91 of Essentials.
Max_501

Postby jepoupatout » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:44 am

arothafel wrote:Thanks Max501 for making us figure it out. I'm really trying to get better at MA so this is helpful.

This image is of his very first 2 turns in the video as suggested.

Here's what I see:
Frame #1 - He looks extended too early.
Frame #2 - Now, however, his stance leg is flexed...? So he's flexing at the end of the turn?
Frame #3 - Seems like a bit of an "up" move instead of staying flexed. It seems to lead into his extension of the next turn. Maybe this is being hyper-critical?
Frame #4 - Same as #1 where the stance leg appears to be extended
Frame #5 - Now the stance is beginning to flex
Frame #6 - Seems like the same as #2 where he's flexed at the end of the turn.

So, to my eye, this is the opposite of PMTS where we remain flexed and build pressure through the turn and whatever extension occurs is at the end of the turn just before release.
jepoupatout

Postby deicreo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:02 am

I agree with Jepoupatout, that his right leg as the outside leg makes some flaws.
It has been stated here on the forum that internal rotational muscles of the legs are much stronger.
On the right turn tipping of the inside leg tends to stop at some point. Maybe becouse he is more concentrated at engaging his
outside leg and muscle strengtht allow him to turn that femur inside. Anyway, has anyone of you guys watched the other videos on his channel,
when is he talking to his students? It will give some perspective. When guys, like JF Bealieu, who ski 100 + days per season are skiing this well and he is having so imprecise information about skiing technique (watch his channel coutiously) then the question is how would I be skiing if I could allow +100 days per season with PMTS guidance? That is rhetoric question.

It is worth to see, in order to compare; Heluvas channel on youtube where he has just posted new vids from last season. This is PMTS like performance skiing, no doubts.
deicreo

Postby arothafel » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:58 am

I stand totally corrected. Here's page 91. I should have consulted the books first. So, is this, in fact, solid PMTS skiing? It does not "look it" to me when I view it "systemically" but, I can not seem to figure out why. (** If there are copyright issues with posting this diagram I'll take it down right away).

arothafel

Postby geoffda » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:33 am

The reason it looks like he is popping in some of his turns is because he isn't pulling his feet back in transition. Instead, he releases aft and lets his skis shoot forward (which is how he gets much of his extension). This causes him to have to play balance games to enter the turn. Basically, as the skis run away, he falls into the turn, but recovers as the skis catch up enough to bite (about the time he reaches full extension). There isn't really a top of the turn (though the skis do track) because he is falling in. Balance transfer happens late. As a result of being passive at release, he is sacrificing control and ski performance that would otherwise be available. This is probably what is causing the need for knee driving when it happens. Aggressive pulling back of the feet and earlier counter-balancing would significantly improve this skiing.
geoffda

Postby Max_501 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:17 am

IMO, this is great skiing, just a bit different from what I strive for in my turns.

When I compare this skiing to what PMTS views as the model I see the following differences that we'd be looking for:

1) More CB
2) More CA
3) Holding flexion a bit longer at top of the turn
4) Possibly a stronger pullback (I say possibly because it looks like he is playing with jetting from the tail for more of a dynamic entry into the new turn). It's clear that he can pull the skis back when needed (note the numerous frames where the tips are lower than the tails during the transition).
5) Holding the inside foot against the outside boot (might not be needed with increased CB).

For alignment it looks like the right knee is tracking too far to the inside.
Max_501

Postby arothafel » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:03 pm

Ha..ha.. ha... Full circle...! Like going around the world to sneak up on somebody!

Jepoupatout... you were right in the first place. Great skiing.

Thanks Max and Geoff -- if nothing else, I learned that I really need to get back into the books and gain a better understanding.
arothafel

Postby theorist » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:59 pm

In case anyone's curious, the ski he's on in the first video is a 165 cm Rossignol HERO FIS SL, 119 - 67 - 103, R=13 m. [And probably in the second as well, since in the latter it says "13 m."]
theorist

PreviousNext

Return to Social Chatting