Valerio Malfatto -Italian ski coach

Friends get together

Valerio Malfatto -Italian ski coach

Postby Basil j » Thu May 15, 2014 5:23 pm

I was doing a google search for PMTS the other day and this guys videos came up in the side bar, I guess he is the Italian demo team coach or race coach? I don't speak Italian but the fundamentals he reviews in his videos are interesting. He has about 5 years worth of videos on youtube.
Not PMTS but some shared ideologies from what I see. Good counter balance and rotation occurring, a little two footed for my taste, but I see aggressive tipping with some front foot lead in many turns. This style looks like they sit back a bit and I would guess be less than ideal for off piste skiing, but I am not an expert in assessing ski movements by any means.
Not trying to stir up any debates or anything here, just thought I would share and see if anyone knew about this guy and his system. it appears very dynamic and well suited for Piste skiing.
enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0qQKvU ... page#t=136
Basil j

Re: Valerio Malfatto -Italian ski coach

Postby jbotti » Thu May 15, 2014 8:13 pm

Basil j wrote:

Good counter balance and rotation occurring,
enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0qQKvU ... page#t=136

Really? Take a look again. He gets some big angles but most of the time he lacks an appropriate level of CB and is skiing with lots of inclination. The up move at transition is pronounced.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby skijim13 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:20 am

I agree there is no CA/CB and the up movement will kill the energy in the turn and prevent high C ski engagement. I have been working on MA and it does not appear that he is using leg steering to make his turns. Does anyone have a checklist to tell if there is leg steering used in MA? From what I have learned on the forum leg steering would be identified by the knees leading or being ahead of the turn radius, and the ski tails skiding, also once his skis are on edge it would be not possible to steer the skis with leg steering.
skijim13

Postby Basil j » Fri May 16, 2014 6:22 am

You are absolutely right. upon further review I see a lot of lean into the hill on every turn and actually lack of CA & CR. That's why this forum is so great. I still struggle to see proper movents on really advanced traditional skiers because they do look so solid( in a traditional non PMTSsense) I noticed when some of the skiers ski slowly they appear to flex between turns more than when they pick up speed. I still have a hard time differentiating between an upward movement occuring between turns and the rebound of the ski creating a launching of a skier between turns. Ski rebound is a sensation I like to feel at the end of a turn but I am unclear as to whether it is a good thing or not.
Last edited by Basil j on Sat May 17, 2014 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Basil j

Postby jbotti » Fri May 16, 2014 4:35 pm

Rebound is a good thing. It occurs when the skis are bent in an arc (also a good thing). It can be controlled or managed with properly timed flexing combined with solid fore aft balance. It causes problems when your weight is aft. From there (aft) if the ski pops big you will be going for a ride. It happens to slalom racers all the time when they get back after loading/bending a ski (think Alexis Pinterault when he landed/flipped on his back in the second run of the slalom in Sochi).
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Sat May 17, 2014 6:49 am

Basil j wrote:Ski rebound is a sensation I like to feel at the end of a turn but I am unclear as to whether it is a good thing or not.

More info on rebound can be found in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1501
Max_501

Postby Basil j » Sat May 17, 2014 8:47 am

Good stuff Max. thanks
Basil j

Postby jbotti » Sun May 18, 2014 8:13 am

skijim13 wrote:I agree there is no CA/CB and the up movement will kill the energy in the turn and prevent high C ski engagement. I have been working on MA and it does not appear that he is using leg steering to make his turns. Does anyone have a checklist to tell if there is leg steering used in MA? From what I have learned on the forum leg steering would be identified by the knees leading or being ahead of the turn radius, and the ski tails skiding, also once his skis are on edge it would be not possible to steer the skis with leg steering.

Leg steering and tipping are pretty much mutually exclusive. If you see tipping in the high C and tipping throughout the arc, there is no leg steering occurring.
jbotti

Return to Social Chatting