Korean "downside"

Friends get together

Korean "downside"

Postby h.harb » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:36 pm

h.harb

Re: Korean "downside"

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:17 pm

That approach could drive a wedge between PMTS and KSIA... :lol:
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:07 pm

It will drive a wedge toward your development as an Expert skier.
h.harb

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:03 am

I have studied a lot of Korean/ Japanese skiing over the last year and wondered how they manage - more than any other nation(s), to make the leap from wedge skiing to fantastic free skiers, like Hisaya Sato, Chang Keun Kim etc. No one, that i have seen, within PSIA, CSIA, BASI etc come even close. Does 'Richard Berger' - your evil twin, have anything to do with it?
go_large_or_go_home

Postby Smackboy1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:14 am

go_large_or_go_home wrote:I have studied a lot of Korean/ Japanese skiing over the last year and wondered how they manage - more than any other nation(s), to make the leap from wedge skiing to fantastic free skiers, like Hisaya Sato, Chang Keun Kim etc. No one, that i have seen, within PSIA, CSIA, BASI etc come even close. Does 'Richard Berger' - your evil twin, have anything to do with it?

I have to believe that the Korean/Japanese technical demo skiers are just trained differently than KSIA TTS. Unlike in NA technical skiing seems to be a bigger deal over there, with judged competitions, sponsorships and the like. If you look here, the demo team coach seems to be a little closer PMTS-like concepts, albeit from an outside ski perspective.

I've often wondered how PMTS is received in Asia.
Skiing: falling down the mountain with style.
Smackboy1

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:26 am

It's hard to understand how anyone can reconcile a wedge progression, into expert skiing. It's a mystery of a life time.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:05 pm

Just follow this progression.

Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:40 pm

^^^^^^^ I'd like to see a student actually succeed in going from wedge christies directly to javelin turns in that progression. There are some large gaps in how that progression "progresses". I'm not buying that they would have a lot of success with that. Come on, man!
HighAngles

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:20 am

You Know, That initial wedge drill is unusual. Have you guys ever seen anyone teaching the wedge with that alternating ankle twitch? I've seen the heavy steering/ pivot and alternating pushing wedges and was taught them once as well :( But that looked quite different. And it seemed to carry over into each ensuing drill.

At least that progression got the value of working towards and ever-narrowing stance and a javelin, etc. It's not PMTS, but it had more going on than PSIA.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby Max_501 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:30 am

Skiasaurus Rex wrote:You Know, That initial wedge drill is unusual. Have you guys ever seen anyone teaching the wedge with that alternating ankle twitch?

Looks like a typical wedge I've been seeing for years. Place skis in a wedge and then learn the BTE dominant movement pattern. Just like PSIA they also include some LTE tipping to get the outside ski flat for a release but the BTE dominant movement is the primary driver of the turn.
Max_501

Postby BigE » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:00 pm

On the other hand, there is no question that the Koreans work towards committing to the outside ski -- no garbage about lateral weight distribution and two footed skiing.
BigE

Postby emakarios » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:59 am

There is a great progression for a wedge skier to become an excellent parallel skier; it is called the PMTS and begins with green progression D and E and goes from there to blue progressions F-L.
However I can tell you that it is a lot of hard work, focus and training for the wedge skier to truly own these new movements, even with PMTS coaching.
I have found this to be true in my own five + years of PMTS training ( I come from a TSS background) and from working with students as a PMTS instructor.
This season I spent eleven weeks working with 7 year old beginning racers; all who started with a wedge.
By the end of the first day I told another race coach working with a different group of 7 year olds that whoever taught these kids to wedge should be shot in the foot, specifically the foot on the big toe edge (ok, shoot him in both feet, since both are on the BTE)!
I am skeptical that many skiers can arrive at really good parallel skiing without a methodology as accurate and progressive as PMTS.
I will check out the Koreans and see what they putting forth.
emakarios

Return to Social Chatting