Super slow motion video to study?

Friends get together

Super slow motion video to study?

Postby JohnMoore » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:27 am

I'm sure a bunch of you on here will be familiar with the super slow motion video of Chang Keun Kim at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTszH9Yq-wU. It looks pretty good skiing to me (if that was me skiing, I'd feel I'd made progress :D ), but it's not PMTS. Is there any video out there of Harald or another top-level PMTS skier, in super slow motion like this? It really enables me to see much more clearly what is actually happening in the turn than full speed video.
JohnMoore

Re: Super slow motion video to study?

Postby skijim13 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:06 am

I see some extension in his turns, I also notice that his stance ski does not come on to edge by tipping of the free foot. It appears to me that he still has some traditional skiing in his short turns. I do agree that his turns look good. Many of the PMTS videos you can purchase will have great shots of slow turns, another option is to slow them down further yourself.
skijim13

Postby JohnMoore » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:35 am

skijim13 wrote:I see some extension in his turns, I also notice that his stance ski does not come on to edge by tipping of the free foot. It appears to me that he still has some traditional skiing in his short turns. I do agree that his turns look good. Many of the PMTS videos you can purchase will have great shots of slow turns, another option is to slow them down further yourself.

Just to be clear, I am NOT putting this forward as a video demonstration of PMTS skiing, nor indeed inviting an MA of the skiing (although that's always interesting and useful to read). It was rather as a demonstration of how useful slow motion video is as a study tool. As regards slowing an existing video down, my understanding (which may well be incorrect) is that the really useful slow motion video is actually filmed at a much higher capture rate than normal 25fps video - say 120fps upwards. My hope is that there is some video out there filmed at such a rate of Harald skiing.
JohnMoore

Postby HighAngles » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:22 am

At :40 in you get a great slow mo turn section to study.

HighAngles

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:08 am

If you use this app:

http://www.ubersense.com

you can slow down video footage and even shutter frame by frame forwards and backwards...Best part..its FREE...i have managed to import a couple of HH youtube vids so now i can watch his movements frame by frame - just like the coaches on Camp...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby h.harb » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:31 am

skijim What you see is not what is happening. This has been discussed here many times (why does the cross over "look" like it's going up yet he is still flexing) you must be a late comer and making assumptions about MA on my skiing may lead you in the wrong direction. Just because I'm not "deep flexing" in the first few turns doesn't mean it's not a flexing release. And that release is not traditional.
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:34 am

I have some on my YouTube channel, but they are GS and SL versus BPSTs... so likely not applicable to what you're looking for.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:39 am

I also notice that his stance ski does not come on to edge by tipping of the free foot.

So how does it come on edge? You have singled out one movement, and one that is out of the order, (the last result of a release) it requires more than one movement to create angles to the new outside ski edge and they have to be in the right order. If you are going to make broad sweeping statements, you better do so with clear explanations, not snippet's of opinion.
h.harb

Postby JohnMoore » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:50 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:I have some on my YouTube channel, but they are GS and SL versus BPSTs... so likely not applicable to what you're looking for.

Always keen to see good skiing I can learn from! What's your channel?
JohnMoore

Postby JohnMoore » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:52 am

HighAngles wrote:At :40 in you get a great slow mo turn section to study.

You do indeed! I still reckon more detail, as you'd get from super slo-mo filming, would be even more useful, though.
JohnMoore

Postby JohnMoore » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:58 am

h.harb wrote:skijim What you see is not what is happening. This has been discussed here many times (why does the cross over "look" like it's going up yet he is still flexing) you must be a late comer and making assumptions about MA on my skiing may lead you in the wrong direction. Just because I'm not "deep flexing" in the first few turns doesn't mean it's not a flexing release. And that release is not traditional.

I'm a bit puzzled by this. Whose skiing are you talking about here, Harald - yours or Chang Keun Kim's? (You mention 'my skiing' and 'I'm not "deep flexing"').
JohnMoore

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:13 am

JohnMoore wrote:Always keen to see good skiing I can learn from! What's your channel?

Youtube/HeluvaSkier

HeluvaSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:17 am

JohnMoore wrote:I'm a bit puzzled by this. Whose skiing are you talking about here, Harald - yours or Chang Keun Kim's? (You mention 'my skiing' and 'I'm not "deep flexing"').

The degree of flex is adjusted to how much the skis are tipped, and how much flex is required to release the tipped skis [speed is also a factor]. Just because there wasn't deep flexing to release, does not mean that the turn was not released by flexing - just that the right amount of flexing to release the turn was used.

HeluvaSkier

Postby JohnMoore » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:21 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:
JohnMoore wrote:I'm a bit puzzled by this. Whose skiing are you talking about here, Harald - yours or Chang Keun Kim's? (You mention 'my skiing' and 'I'm not "deep flexing"').

The degree of flex is adjusted to how much the skis are tipped, and how much flex is required to release the tipped skis [speed is also a factor]. Just because there wasn't deep flexing to release, does not mean that the turn was not released by flexing - just that the right amount of flexing to release the turn was used.

Are you referring to Chang Keun Kim's skiing here?
JohnMoore

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:36 am

JohnMoore wrote:Are you referring to Chang Keun Kim's skiing here?

Both

HeluvaSkier

Next

Return to Social Chatting