Super slow motion video to study?

Friends get together

Re: Super slow motion video to study?

Postby Max_501 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:28 am

JohnMoore wrote:As regards slowing an existing video down, my understanding (which may well be incorrect) is that the really useful slow motion video is actually filmed at a much higher capture rate than normal 25fps video - say 120fps upwards. My hope is that there is some video out there filmed at such a rate of Harald skiing.

First, the point of analyzing expert skiers is to ascertain the movements they are using. Harald has already done that for us with Book 1, Book 2, and Essentials. Second, there is absolutely no need for anything greater than 30fps for video analysis of skiing. Higher looks really cool but no hidden movements or secrets will be discovered from the higher frame rates. Third, analyzing video of your own skiing to identify areas for improvement would be significantly more useful than studying slow motion video of others.

Slowmotion vids of HH that show everything needed to become an expert skier:

Max_501

Postby h.harb » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:56 pm

Both,
right on and perfect. As you all know I don't pull any punches here. When things start turning into an Epic Ski Forum like circus, around here, I get very impatient. The last two posts by Max-501 and Helluva, are exactly what I would have said. (I was out skiing today, so I didn't see this until I got back). As Max stated everything about PMTS is already documented. Thanks for trying to invent your own version, by what you see. At this point in your skiing try to work on your own skiing and the movements as they are written, shown and explained in the PMTS videos. Leave the MA of high end skiers to those that work with them and know what they see. Both 501 and Helluva are "right on" with their responses.
h.harb

Postby JohnMoore » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:05 am

h.harb wrote:Leave the MA of high end skiers to those that work with them and know what they see. Both 501 and Helluva are "right on" with their responses.

As I explained above, twice in fact, my question was not about an MA of the video in question, but asking whether there was any similarly super slow motion video of you yourself skiing, which I could learn from.
JohnMoore

Crossover

Postby skijim13 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:55 am

Can someone please point me to the dissussions in the forum about what to look for in the crossover to tell the difference between an extension and flexing in the transition, it is very easy to see the difference in medium radius turns but harder to see in very short turns. I know in my own videos in short turnsI know that I am flexing to start the turns but still it appears that I have a up movement during the crossover.
skijim13

Postby h.harb » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:40 am

It's not about how the difference looks, it's about how you are going to create the differences. "Performance Skiing" the DVD, demonstrates the differences.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:04 am

JohnMoore wrote:
h.harb wrote:Leave the MA of high end skiers to those that work with them and know what they see. Both 501 and Helluva are "right on" with their responses.

As I explained above, twice in fact, my question was not about an MA of the video in question, but asking whether there was any similarly super slow motion video of you yourself skiing, which I could learn from.

John, to learn from video you must first be able to do MA which is why I suggested you focus on the PMTS materials. They include the written and verbal instruction that will teach you how to ski.
Max_501

Postby skijim13 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:34 am

Thanks, I will watch that video again, I tend to spend my time watching the other videos many times over and not watch that one as often.
skijim13

Postby blackthorn » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:24 pm

I I have been watching " Lorraine - the movie " on Vimeo. Great video, and to my untutored eye, great skiing within the context of what she is trying to achieve. ? "freeride" at a high level. I slowed it down and watched with VLC.

blackthorn

Postby blackthorn » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:36 pm

I was always a little dissappointed that the thread ended at that time. Now that we have had "4ce Cut the Wind" and a thread on women skiers, I feel compelled to reingnite this thread. This is the skiing of my dreams.
blackthorn

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:46 am

Here's my latest contribution to the cause:

Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:16 am

Moore you are confused, I agree with you, you are confused! You obviously don't see movement as it is happening.

HH says: "If you interpret slow motion skiing incorrectly you will ski incorrectly."
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:19 am

Max501
First, the point of analyzing expert skiers is to ascertain the movements they are using. Harald has already done that for us with Book 1, Book 2, and Essentials. Second, there is absolutely no need for anything greater than 30fps for video analysis of skiing. Higher looks really cool but no hidden movements or secrets will be discovered from the higher frame rates. Third, analyzing video of your own skiing to identify areas for improvement would be significantly more useful than studying slow motion video of others.

As usual right on the mark!
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:33 am

Moore

You will learn nothing from slow motion of world class skiing except that you don't have those movements. You will not learn how to make those movements by watching slow motion or otherwise. There are no short cuts to expert skiing. You have to practice building the PMTS movements and in the order they occur. Helluva was a good skier, (old school) not a great skier, when when I first saw his skiing. He changed completely now he is a great skier. He didn't learn the movement by watching slow motion video. Reilly was a good for a tradition skier when I started to coach him, he was not a PMTS skier. Now he is, but he didn't learn from slow motion, he learned by taking the PMTS movements and incorporating them into his skiing, same goes for Gellie, Max, JB etc.

Moore you are fooling yourself. You also demonstrated wrong interpretation of your analysis of the slow motion of this video. Where is this not PMTS skiing?
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:39 am

Read my last post about Interski skiing!
h.harb

Previous

Return to Social Chatting