Let's take a BASI break

Friends get together

Let's take a BASI break

Postby HighAngles » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:55 pm

Thought I'd bring a chuckle to the forum with this exemplary example of short turns by our friends from BASI :wink: :roll:

So how many faults do you see in this skiing? Let's count the ways...
HighAngles

Re: Let's take a BASI break

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:17 pm

Eh, better than what I could do *shrugs* But I'm not a harsh judge, LOL

Here's a guy who comes to my local mountain occasionally. Demo Teamer dude. I suppose it's a bit similar to the OP. I'd say pivot slips staying "simultaneously parallel" like what the original video looks a little like is pretty hard, that even the top instructors I know have a slight wedge :|

hyper_squirrel7

Postby HighAngles » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:04 pm

^^^^^^^^ That guy wouldn't know what to do with the top of a turn if he ever found one. :wink:
HighAngles

Postby skijim13 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:23 am

Eric Lipton at my mountain is like a God, if I every told a fellow ski instructor I see flaws in his skiing they would throw me out of the room.
skijim13

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:51 pm

Eric creates pressure with an early aggressive outside leg extension. Is there an another approach that he could take?
Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:33 pm

Max_501 wrote:Eric creates pressure with an early aggressive outside leg extension. Is there an another approach that he could take?

Yes, don't extend the outside leg early; keep it flexed through transition and tip to the new edges (led by strong inside foot tipping). The early extension must come from him thinking that he needs to create the early pressure at the top of the turn instead of letting it develop naturally through gravity and the forces of the turn.
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:34 pm

HighAngles wrote:Yes, don't extend the outside leg early; keep it flexed through transition and tip to the new edges (led by strong inside foot tipping). The early extension must come from him thinking that he needs to create the early pressure at the top of the turn instead of letting it develop naturally through gravity and the forces of the turn.

He could do all that but would still be missing the secret sauce. What is it?
Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:37 pm

Well he doesn't flex to release. Instead he's doing the bunny hop down the mountain.
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:40 pm

HighAngles wrote:Well he doesn't flex to release. Instead he's doing the bunny hop down the mountain.

That's not it. Sometimes he does flex to release but it looks different because of the very aggressive extension that follows.
Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:43 pm

Max_501 wrote:
HighAngles wrote:Well he doesn't flex to release. Instead he's doing the bunny hop down the mountain.

That's not it. Sometimes he does flex to release but it looks different because of the very aggressive extension that follows.

I'm not seeing it Max. I do not see any flexion whatsoever of his old stance leg at the transition. So what about his transition makes it a flex to release?
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:52 pm

HighAngles wrote:I'm not seeing it Max. I do not see any flexion whatsoever of his old stance leg at the transition. So what about his transition makes it a flex to release?

Bending the outside leg even 1mm is a flex to release. He often shows much more than 1mm.

This image shows a flex to release and has a hint that may lead you to the secret sauce.

Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Well let's keep going down the list of missing Essentials. He has very little CA or CB in his skiing.

Your reference to "secret sauce" makes me think there's just one thing he could change and that would be all he is missing, but I'm not seeing that.
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:01 pm

HighAngles wrote:Your reference to "secret sauce" makes me think there's just one thing he could change and that would be all he is missing, but I'm not seeing that.

I'm focusing solely on the aggressive early outside leg extension. If something isn't there then that move is basically a requirement at this level of skiing.

What if I change this quote:

Eric creates pressure with an early aggressive outside leg extension. Is there an another approach that he could take?

to this:

Eric gets forward with an early aggressive outside leg extension. Is there an another approach that he could take?
Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:50 pm

Well when you say get forward to anyone with a PMTS background we all think foot pullback. In re-watching the video he does "scissor" quite a bit with a fair amount of inside tip lead.
Last edited by HighAngles on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:05 pm

Now you are getting it. If a skier doesn't use a strong pullback during the transition to re-position the feet in relation to the hips, then they'll need to do something else to re-position the hips in relation to the feet, and that something is typically an early outside leg extension.
Max_501

Next

Return to Social Chatting