Another attempt on disparaging me by Epic forum and Vail

Friends get together

Re: Another attempt on disparaging me by Epic forum and Vail

Postby HighAngles » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:07 pm

That is interesting Harald. Almost 17000 views in a week on that video. You must have hit some kind of nerve in the skiing populace! :D
HighAngles

Postby h.harb » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:16 pm

I don't know how it happened it's a meteoric rise in views.
h.harb

Postby Basil j » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:06 am

Your videos and instruction are clear and sequential. You go to step 1, then to step 2 and so forth until you build a foundation. This video is the first time I have ever seen you "trying to ski TTS style"" It shows a distinct contrast and I think it hits a nerve with skiers that have been questioning PMTS vs TTS. I showed that video last week in my office to a bunch of my ski buddies that I work with that have been ribbing me about my reinventing my skiing. After they saw the video it was clear that they had an ""ÄHA'" moment of clarity defining the difference between the beauty and simplicity of PMTS VS the leaning and extending fashion of skiing that they all see on the hill every weekend. (and that they all do by the way). Now they understand what I am working towards. I know the intent of the video was to focus on Tipping, But IMO the contrast you displayed/performed is what I think hit home with the viewers. You as the instructor show the difference, and not just speak to it. I thought it was quite powerful and really clarified how much cleaner, smoother and more attractive the PMTS skiing style is. I'd be curious to see if the rest of your video hits start to increase as well.
Basil j

Postby arothafel » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:41 am

I wonder if the video going viral has something to do with it being posted on FaceBook. I noticed it had two "shares" so that will automatically give it an incremental boost - like the Doppler Effect.

I agree with Basil... in that everything is good or bad by comparison. Showing TTS vs. PMTS side by side is very effective.
arothafel

Postby NoCleverName » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:48 am

I made the "comparison" observation at the outset on the other thread, but it's worth reiterating the previous posters comments: this is a very effective video because of the "before and after". You more or less do that in your books in the lead-in for chapters and topics and it works well there.

But there's nothing like a picture.
NoCleverName

Postby cheesehead » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:13 pm

The last week or so I have been looking at some of the "instructional" ski videos on You tube. They are horrible! And not just that they are "not-PMTS" but just bad skiing and very little useful instruction.

Hopefully the "viral" trend will continue.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby bowlhiker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:40 pm

Maybe it's because I have space for conversations now.

But I just talked to a guy today who's been teaching at Vail a long time, worked with Harald at WP.

Glowing comments.

Harald's stuff is being taught all over at Vail now. They're not calling it PMTS, but they're teaching it.
bowlhiker

Postby blackthorn » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:50 pm

OK Bowlhiker - try Leonard Cohen's "Anthem" - offered in support of Harald and PMTS "there is a crack, a crack, in everything - that's how the light gets in" - but read the words, listen to the song.

To take on another metaphor, I do feel that I may have drunk some PMTS KoolAid. if I had drunk the whole lot, then I really wouldn't know.

Harald said in a post recently that "PMTS is tough". I prefer to use the word robust.

PMTS, when it finds you, is at its most basic - clear and simple - at least compared to any TTS. I now "know" what I have to, want to, do.

On a practical level I have now engaged , rebuilding step by step. Any efforts, TTS based, in the past, have not really done very much.

On an intellectual level, in trying to understand the foundations of the PMTS system, there is not really anything I have learned so far that I find I disagree with. I have been putting countless hours into this as I have always loved the sport of skiing. Where I have uncertainty I try and gain more information. The problem is, as I'm sure most others will have experienced, I find information sources that are confusing, and with my limited knowledge, have elements that seem just plain wrong. So I can't really trust them. I do thank PMTS for the insights I now have, which enable me to be able to analyse, and make progress at all levels.

It's great now watching the FIS racing - if only I could get it all.

PMTS also seems like a great community - it is robust - I like that.
blackthorn

Postby bowlhiker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:49 am

bowlhiker

Previous

Return to Social Chatting