This isn't funny it's skiing child abuse.

Friends get together

This isn't funny it's skiing child abuse.

Postby h.harb » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:24 pm

http://thechive.com/2013/11/27/should-have-pizzad-video/

This kid could have run into the rocks on the side or the trees coming up. He's lucky he fell.
h.harb

Re: This isn't funny it's skiing child abuse.

Postby jbotti » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Wow, fricking terrible. Poor kid. If anyone wants to know how to make sure your young kids will hate skiing, the sure fire method is on this video.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby NoCleverName » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:55 pm

What's even more pathetic is the comments under the vid that indicate there's nothing at all wrong with this way to learn. As if crashing into rocks --- or other skiers --- is perfectly acceptable. Maybe even a rite of passage. I've seen this even on the gentlest of teaching slopes: it usually results in a collision with someone else (fortunately slow). Roughly 1/3 of adults getting on their first real green will go uncontrollable right off the bat.

I do remember when I first started out (at age 35, mind you) I was exactly in the same position a couple of times. I can testify that having the wedge "in your bag of skills" as TTS would have it, is not an effective means to bleed off speed if you get going even a little quick. So why bother to teach something that won't work? Worse, because it's the FIRST thing you'll learn, it'll be your automatic "fallback". Sure, I can see teaching it as the "liftline maneuvering" skill. Braking wedge: it's only purpose is to stop in confined space at low speeds.
NoCleverName

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:16 pm

I remember the first time I saw this video and I have the same reaction now. It's bad enough the Dad is a complete douchebag who unnecessarily terrified his kid because he didn't want to spend a few days on the learner slope. But the fact he made this video public to show the world his child's fear and fall is downright epic douchebaggery.
Skiasaurus Rex

Return to Social Chatting