Forbes top 10 ski resorts in the U.S.

Friends get together

Forbes top 10 ski resorts in the U.S.

Postby Max_501 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:45 am

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopher ... -for-2014/

What resorts do you think should have made the list?
Max_501

Re: Forbes top 10 ski resorts in the U.S.

Postby HighAngles » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:25 pm

JH being #1 is an interesting pick. When I was there last season the most surprising aspect to me was the incredible groomer skiing at JH. You always hear so much about the off-piste skiing there, but they have long, wide, steep superbly groomed runs. We have nothing like that in CO.
HighAngles

Postby bowlhiker » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:04 am

I've covered every inch of JH inbounds. For me, I can't see where it's even remotely close to the terrain at Highlands -- as far as being challenging. All I've ever found were tourist bumps. There's not one pitch there that I thought twice about. Seems to me the big deal at JH is the cliff drops and backcountry -- neither of which I'm not interested in. At Highlands, there's pitches I won't ski if the snow is setup.

Each time I've been with others -- younger than me. We all agree that there's a lot of "tough guys" there. Jeezus. They just glare at you on the tram. The vibe there -- pseudo big mountain skiers with attitude and banana skis -- doesn't work for me. I'm not going back.

Squaw is on my list. I'm going for the history there.

So is Taos.
bowlhiker

Postby A.L.E » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:11 pm

Big Sky skiing wise is excellent.
A.L.E

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:57 am

It was interesting to read a magazine listing that apparently put some primacy on challenging terrain and snow in the evaluations (instead of gourmet pizza and wifi availability!).

Still,
I am not sure if top ten 'resorts' is the right categorization for most of these ski areas...I think top ten destination ski areas for expert skiers might have made more sense.

I'm a lover of unheralded second and third tier mountains, so I liked seeing Solitude on the list, and, I think on a powder day it's the best bet in Utah to make quality fresh runs for much of the day (now if I could find a list with Schweitzer, Monarch, Kirkwood, Red and Le massif I'd be set!).

Vail certainly fits the 'Resort' part of the list, but seems out of place with the rest of the qualitative reviews.

The Squaw review sounded about right, great terrain and sucky crowds. Not sure it's 'the best resort in California, Oregon, and Washington' though...I am hoping to ski in Washington later this season (Crystal/ Baker) so I guess I'll find out.

Neat list, I like Forbe's ratings for these sort of things better than most, like their college rankings (with a detailed ROI) pisses all over US NEWS and World Report college rankings.

Bowlhiker is miostly right about Jackson, though it is a bit more bad ass than he let's on.

The only two places on that list I haven't skied are Mammoth and Telluride. I think I am far more eager to ski Telluride however, it sounds pretty great,
Skiasaurus Rex

Return to Social Chatting