If you were in Colorado!

Friends get together

If you were in Colorado!

Postby h.harb » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:21 pm

You could have skied 20 days already, and skied three powder days. How is that deep eastern powder coming alone? I can't wait to see those tip and tail flapper "clown" skis coming out on that eastern ice.
h.harb

Re: If you were in Colorado!

Postby HighAngles » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:30 pm

You're rubbing it in Harald. :wink:

We're supposed to get over a foot in CO early next week. This has been one heck of a start for the season, but honestly we were really due after the past 2 seasons (although the end of last season wasn't too bad).
HighAngles

Postby h.harb » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Hey, I'm being fair, and honest, I love Eastern powder, on skates.

All kidding aside, I've never seen anything like this. Nov 1 the snow is like silk, I didn't hit a hard spot all day. Tomorrow the sun is coming out and it will be perfect packed powder. Monday and Tuesday another foot of fresh. Banana, clown skis will be everywhere.
h.harb

Postby ToddW » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:03 pm

We've got our priorities straight in the East. Delayed gratification and Puritan virtues and a hike in ski boots up 175 stairs back to the gondola for downloading. :wink:

Today was a major base building event. Ma Nature injected large quantities of noncrystalline precipitation that's slated to freeze tomorrow night and keep us skiing on a solid base into June. No doubt the speed team stranded out in Colorado at Copper Mountain is jealous of our naturally injected slopes.

Harald, if you held camps back East we could build a ridge feature for you in November that would last into May without any attention from the groomers.
ToddW

Postby Max_501 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:51 pm

ToddW wrote:Today was a major base building event.

I didn't realize you guys ever had a base? :lol:
Max_501

Postby ToddW » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Max_501 wrote:
ToddW wrote:Today was a major base building event.

I didn't realize you guys ever had a base? :lol:

In odd numbered years starting with a full moon.
ToddW

Postby Mac » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Is that what the Peak Walkway is Todd, 175 steps? Actually did them twice on Wednesday, never bothered to count them, though. Guess I was just too grateful to be skiing in October. Don't know what qualifies as a powder day, but there was enough snow on my truck when I came out in the morning that I had to clear it off. But anyway, it was quite a treat to be skiing without the need of rock skis in October. Unfortunately, the guys with the wide skis had the advantage over me on my skinny skis that day, lots of loose cut up snow. But such is life in Vermont, you just never know. Visibility was not great first thing, it snowed on and off most of the morning, but here's a pic from the day before: http://www.basinski.com/wp-content/uplo ... 757450.jpg
Mac

Postby Max_501 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:48 pm

Mac wrote:Unfortunately, the guys with the wide skis had the advantage over me on my skinny skis that day, lots of loose cut up snow.

Its about skills not skis.
Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:57 pm

I like it - should be a shirt:

_______ ______
\__ \____/ __/
| |
| Got Skills? |
| |
| PMTS |
| |
--------------------

< hmmm - looks like a shirt in the editor, but the actual post shreds it >
HighAngles

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:54 am

Max_501 wrote:
Mac wrote:Unfortunately, the guys with the wide skis had the advantage over me on my skinny skis that day, lots of loose cut up snow.

Its about skills not skis.

Well, sometimes, maybe, it's a little bit about the skis, isn't it? Isn't that why just about every expert I know owns and uses multiple skis…including you, Max. I'm not saying you need a Clown ski, as Harald terms them, and I suspect that was the object of your ire. But all things being equal, it's nice to have a hammer when you need to drive a nail. Sure, a guy with great tool dexterity,and years of carpentry experience can make a Monkey Wrench work in pinch, but I'd prefer a hammer. There may be a reason they make Slalom and GS skis. It could be that each design does something a little better than the other provided they are each piloted by a skilled skier. It just might be possible that differences in ski design outside of a racecourse might also deliver different advantages. In fact, I just read somewhere that the most skilled skier on the planet is held back in gs by the brand of ski he uses. Where did I read that…?

Sure, skills are the best advantage on any given day…but a little extra edge ain't so bad either, perhaps not a clown ski, but a little something. That said, I'm in the market for slalom carvers, and even though it's the skills not the skis, I got a feeling they make short carved turns easier, and easier to learn.

Glad to see Colorado is off to a booming start, after a few lean years it is well deserved. Is the snow flying in Southern Colorado as well?? Is the rest of the Rocky Mountain/Wasatch west off to a good start as well? I haven't really plugged in as it's still Sunny and a stellar Fall here. I'm still biking in the woods for another month. Everything in it's time.

For me, If I was looking for an extended season, I'd prefer a bumper Spring. But a gangbuster start is great for the industry and great for the colorado locals--getting to enjoy it before the Texans arrive.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby Max_501 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:56 am

Skiasaurus Rex wrote:Well, sometimes, maybe, it's a little bit about the skis, isn't it?

In the context of early season man-made snow, no. Its about the skills not the skis.

There isn't enough snow there for a wide ski!

Max_501

Postby geoffda » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:59 am

Skiasaurus Rex wrote:Well, sometimes, maybe, it's a little bit about the skis, isn't it? Isn't that why just about every expert I know owns and uses multiple skis…including you, Max. I'm not saying you need a Clown ski, as Harald terms them, and I suspect that was the object of your ire. But all things being equal, it's nice to have a hammer when you need to drive a nail.

I think many of us would disagree with your assessment that a wider ski has an advantage or is "the right tool" for cut up powder on the WROD in October. There are trade-offs with any ski choice in those conditions. No matter what you choose, your skills are going to matter more than the ski.
geoffda

Postby jbotti » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:17 am

I skied some steep off piste stuff with some fresh pow in Montana 2 seasons ago with the Mahre brothers. They were in town doing a race clinic. Both were on Head 27m GS skis and both were skiing pow and steeps like they were on big fat boys. It's not about the skis for really good skiers. Harald takes TT 80's into step pow and he looks the same as when he is skiing Shamans. For those of us with less pure technique (myself included) our issues may be masked some by a wider ski or a rockered ski but the skiing is the same. If you get your weight back, your weight is back on both pairs of skis, you just pay for it slightly less on a wider longer board, but anyone with eyes can see that you're back. From that position, ones ability to snap off tight SRT's in steep off piste conditions with chop, crud and bumps pretty much goes away, so you can get down but you won't be attacking or ripping. And so on for each flaw that each of us might have.

IMO, the road to real improvement starts with acknowledging that skis can only help mask our flaws and that what we should all strive for is to eliminate the flaws rather than mask them.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby arothafel » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:00 am

Agree with jbotti. Add to that... momentum masks flaws, too. (ie: skiing fast). At least internal cues. I used to think I was skiing O.K. until I slowed things way down... to brushed turns on the bunny slopes. Humbling.
arothafel

Postby ToddW » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:02 am

:? Skiasaur,

You miss the point. Hirscher may be held back by skis in GS but he is on the podium an awful lot. That's quite a testament to the relative importance of technique and gear. (See how often Head's other GS skiers take a spot on the podium.) Sure, we'd all love to see if he could displace Ligety by switching skis, but remember these guys are competing at stratospheric levels.

You're right that Eastern skiers are better off with a quiver. Here 's a good two ski quiver : rock skis & 12m future rock skis.
ToddW

Next

Return to Social Chatting