If you were in Colorado!

Friends get together

Re: If you were in Colorado!

Postby HighAngles » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:09 pm

ToddW wrote:You're right that Eastern skiers are better off with a quiver. Here 's a good two ski quiver : rock skis & 12m future rock skis.

:lol:
HighAngles

Postby h.harb » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:53 pm

ToddW wrote:You're right that Eastern skiers are better off with a quiver. Here 's a good two ski quiver : rock skis & 12m future rock skis.

:lol:

I like it!
h.harb

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:37 am

ToddW wrote::? Skiasaur,

You miss the point. Hirscher may be held back by skis in GS but he is on the podium an awful lot. That's quite a testament to the relative importance of technique and gear. (See how often Head's other GS skiers take a spot on the podium.) Sure, we'd all love to see if he could displace Ligety by switching skis, but remember these guys are competing at stratospheric levels.

You're right that Eastern skiers are better off with a quiver. Here 's a good two ski quiver : rock skis & 12m future rock skis.

So, is that your quiver? Two pairs of slalom skis, one new and one old? What two pairs of skis are you using to ski in the east?

I don't know who is better off with a quiver and who isn't, but I do know most people here seem to have one. And, I'm not pitching clown skis, or any skis, but I suspect people choose one ski or another for different purposes. The range of those skis might only be the difference between a narrow slalom ski and a narrow(ish) gs ski, or a 66mm waisted ski and a 90mm waisted ski, both with camber and no rocker at all, but different skis just the same.

Skills matter most, of course, I don't think anyone has argued against that.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby ToddW » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:40 am

No, not only. I also have a pair of im78 -- what used to be called midfats. I only skied them a few times for variety last season.

My 78s spend the season sitting in the back of my locker. They're my on hill ready reserve, my insurance against delightful unexpected outcomes like a predicted heavy rain coming down in powder form.

The discussion of quiver began by your commenting on the quivers of expert skiers you know ( I'm no expert.) It's probably worth posting Harald's definition of expert from an old thread.
Expert skiers can control speed on icy black terrain, cutting round slalom turns, leaving two tracks. This is a high level skill and requires strength, training and talent. This is beyond but only a handful, few demo team members are able to ski these turns. These are fair, realistic categories, without any embellishment of abilities.
ToddW

Postby Matt » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:42 am

I think it is more about the length than the width. A pair of narrow 191 GS boards are steady as a rock in early season cut up, 165 SLs a bit less. If you had 165 wide boards I doubt they would be any better. Why would a wide board be affected less than a narrow when it runs into a pile of snow?
Matt

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:47 am

Why would a wide board be affected less than a narrow when it runs into a pile of snow?[/quote]

Because there ain't no replacement for displacement.

Back to origin of the thread…Is the powder still piling up in the Front Range?? I was hoping to see pictures/ videos of early season snowy bliss…something everyone likes.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby HighAngles » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:14 am

Skiasaurus Rex wrote:Back to origin of the thread…Is the powder still piling up in the Front Range?? I was hoping to see pictures/ videos of early season snowy bliss…something everyone likes.

Well we had a great start, but looks like we're in for a bit of a dry spell. The storm earlier this week only amounted to a few inches unfortunately. Nonetheless, the temps have been cold enough to keep blowing and the groomers will be in great shape into the Thanksgiving. It used to be that this was my least favorite part of the season, but that was before PMTS put the "life" back into groomer skiing for me. :D
HighAngles

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:47 pm

Killington is open here, they're blowing snow and they've gotten some snow and are getting more over the next few days apparently. A couple of the crew are heading up on Veteran's day. All in all, a pretty good start out this way. Jay Peak has already had a few legit powder days (check out there face book page)…but they are not spinning lifts, it's hike and slide only. Still, looks like much of North America is getting a decent start. I'd love to see a bumper Turkey day coast to coast.

I realize that there are a number of pretty focused early season pmts camps and clinics in December--where are most of those? Loveland? A-basin? Those must be pretty reliable early season places. Though, I'm told Baker and Targhee are as close as you can get to a December lock. Well, things look good for pre-Christmas turns so far.

Yeah, HA there is something about skiing those early season snowmaking whales…what we call a southern new england powder day :D
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby Mac » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:01 pm

Max_501 wrote:
Skiasaurus Rex wrote:Well, sometimes, maybe, it's a little bit about the skis, isn't it?

In the context of early season man-made snow, no. Its about the skills not the skis.

There isn't enough snow there for a wide ski!

Max, if you go back and check my post, the picture I posted was from the previous day, the reason being that on the day I was referring to, the visibility was nil because the top of the mountain was socked in.
Mac

Postby Max_501 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Mac wrote:Max, if you go back and check my post, the picture I posted was from the previous day, the reason being that on the day I was referring to, the visibility was nil because the top of the mountain was socked in.

And your point?
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:37 pm

Looks to me from the photo that they make lots of snow or is that ice, on the trees!
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:42 pm

Did anyone else notice the statement from Tim Petric, K2 skis president, something like. "Narrower skis are working well and that many skiers have missed out on how easily they turn." This is the gist of the quote, not word for word, but it's clear the industry pendulum is going to starting swinging back. It's all about money and the retailers went hook line and sinker into wide skis. Wide skis can't be selling well or this would not come out.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:55 pm

Wide skis certainly aren't the best tool for early season man made snow.
Max_501

Postby Mac » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:59 pm

My point is that the day I was referring to was totally different than the previous day in the picture. It had started snowing around midnight, there was fresh snow up on the mountain, there was snowmaking going on on most of the open terrain overnight. Plus the humidity and temperature had risen, so the snow they had been pumping out was heavy and sticky. And they had opened some new trails that hadn't been groomed at all. After the snow stopped, the fog moved in, so visibility was limited. So what I'm saying was that the conditions were a far cry from the previous bluebird day in the picture I posted. Some of those trails were downright nasty. But I'm not complaining, I had my iM 78's with me, they do a good job just about anywhere. And we all know that there are going to be plenty of people out on fat skis no matter what the conditions warrant. All I'm saying, is on that particular morning, there may have been some justification for them.
Mac

Postby Max_501 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Mac wrote:All I'm saying, is on that particular morning, there may have been some justification for them.

How deep was it? I looked and didn't see any measurable snow reported by the mountain.
Max_501

PreviousNext

Return to Social Chatting