If you were in Colorado!

Friends get together

Re: If you were in Colorado!

Postby Mac » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:09 pm

Here's some pics from today posted by a local ski shop in case anyone in these parts are interested in making some early season turns. Not too shabby for Nov 14, at least for us poor souls here in New England:
http://www.basinski.com/2013/11/killing ... vember-14/
Mac

Postby Mac » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:21 pm

Max_501 wrote:
Mac wrote:All I'm saying, is on that particular morning, there may have been some justification for them.

How deep was it? I looked and didn't see any measurable snow reported by the mountain.

There was only a couple of inches on my truck when I came out in the morning. I assume there was more than that up on the mountain, but it was hard to tell with all the manmade they had blown. It was way more the wet heavy snow they had been blowing that made the conditions funky. In fact, they had to shut the guns off early in the morning because it had warmed up so much. Oddly enough, after lunch, it cleared up and got colder, and most of the junk snow had gotten flattened out, so by then it was more like the early season conditions you would expect around here. But this is New England, after all. As they say, if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute.
Mac

Postby Max_501 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:30 pm

If anything skiers on wide boards were at a disadvantage compared to the incredible IM78 with such a small amount of snow. Remember wide skis are harder to tip.
Max_501

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:47 am

h.harb wrote:Did anyone else notice the statement from Tim Petric, K2 skis president, something like. "Narrower skis are working well and that many skiers have missed out on how easily they turn." This is the gist of the quote, not word for word, but it's clear the industry pendulum is going to starting swinging back. It's all about money and the retailers went hook line and sinker into wide skis. Wide skis can't be selling well or this would not come out.

That is a telling quote, because if K2/ Petrick said it, it is probably the next big thing.

Seriously, they were way out in front on the twin tip craze, then the fat ski craze, then the fat rockered craze, then the hybrid alpine/ at binding craze -ala subsidiary Marker-, and now they are making some pretty great resort-focused, user-friendly, narrower skis like the rictor and charger and bolt lines. If K2 is going to start to focus on Narrower skis again, then I'm betting the pendulum has already swung.

Though, considering its K2, I'd like to pin Petrick down on what exactly he means by 'wider' and 'narrower'…because I suspect he might say the Rictor 90 xti is a great 'narrower' ski...
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby geoffda » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:27 am

I don't really care about the industry; I just wish Head would bring back the iSuperShape.
geoffda

Postby Max_501 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:00 am

Skiasaurus Rex wrote:...and now they are making some pretty great resort-focused, user-friendly, narrower skis like the rictor and charger and bolt lines.

I think you are posting on the wrong forum.
Max_501

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Max_501 wrote:
Skiasaurus Rex wrote:...and now they are making some pretty great resort-focused, user-friendly, narrower skis like the rictor and charger and bolt lines.

I think you are posting on the wrong forum.

Don't I know it, Max.

Well, suffice it to say, that if K2 is starting to focus on narrower frontside skis again then it's a quite a Belleweather for the industry…does that pass the muster?
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby federico » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:12 am

My two cents about skis purchesing this season.

1)I've just bought the new ispeed Supershape in 177, tested last week in Cervinia: very good,
very versatile, just a bit little slow in edge changing but it's negligeable with more confidence,
second day I felt it good. Really a good ski, quite the same holding on hardpack than my 180 wc ispeed
but way more easy and versatile.

2)In the 165 domain I preferred to relay on old model SS isl so I found and bought new the 2011/12 Kers version,
nothing to say, it's a well known ski.

I'll personally test the late one Monday at A-Basin, I'm at Heathrow now waiting the flight for Denver,
so GeoffD we'll discuss ski directly in a while!

Ciao,
Fed
MAIORA VIRIBUS AUDERE
federico

Postby geoffda » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:48 pm

Ciao Federico,

Look forward to seeing you at A-Basin on Monday!
geoffda

Postby jclayton » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:06 am

He he , Skiasaurus , watch your step , deviating from the single minded pursuit of perfection . 8)

( Or what others , feeling threatened , see as closed minded bigotry , but never get around to a ski off to prove their opinions ) :wink:
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby h.harb » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:44 am

I have never found the need to ski powder with a ski wider than the i78 like the Peak and Monster models. If you absolutely can't ski powder and need wider to do it, it's a genuine test and feedback for yourself, that there is a technical deficiency. However that doesn't say I won't take out my Rock and Rolls on a powder day.
h.harb

Postby HighAngles » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:28 pm

Powder day today at LL. 6" call, but plenty of areas that skied much deeper.

That is all. :D
HighAngles

Previous

Return to Social Chatting