Can anyone translate?

Friends get together

Can anyone translate?

Postby CO_Steve » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:10 pm

CO_Steve

Re: Can anyone translate?

Postby jbotti » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Some awesome hip CA!! Pretty sweet turns. Shows us what great hip CA can help produce.

Is it Norwegian? If so I can get it translated.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby CO_Steve » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:45 pm

No idea, just stumbled on it. Was glad to see someone else looking like they could ski.
CO_Steve

Postby geoffda » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:06 pm

You guys are joking right? That is total extend and dump the hip, park and ride skiing. That is too much CA, done wrong. He is locked and static. No tipping going on, big-toe dominant. Even the foot pullback is wrong. He's extending and throwing his upper body rather than pulling back with the hamstrings and glutes. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig...
Last edited by geoffda on Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
geoffda

Postby HighAngles » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:07 pm

Got some A-frame and hip dumping going on though.
HighAngles

Postby arothafel » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:08 pm

Phew...! I thought I was going to have to start over!
arothafel

Postby HighAngles » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:19 pm

geoffda wrote:You guys are joking right? That is total extend and dump the hip, park and ride skiing. That is too much CA, done wrong. He is locked and static. No tipping going on, big-toe dominant. Even the foot pullback is wrong. He's extending and throwing his upper body rather than pulling back with the hamstrings and glutes. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig...

Looks like Geoffda and I were posting at the same time with the same thoughts. :lol:
HighAngles

Postby CO_Steve » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:28 pm

I did think the transitions were lacking and it's hard to see the freefoot leading anywhere.
Guess I'm used to finding psia hop and twisting so in comparison...
CO_Steve

Postby geoffda » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:34 pm

See p. 142 of Essentials for a good explanation of the difference between too little, just right, and too much counteracting. The idea isn't to just crank your hips to a position and hold them, the idea to be moving your hips opposite the turn direction throughout the turn as needed to counteract the femoral rotation induced by tipping. This guy starts out with the classic hip dump--counteract fully on an extended leg and then sit the butt down. What saves him somewhat is that he then flexes. Although the timing is completely bass-ackwards, the fact that he flexes unlocks him somewhat and introduces enough movement to distract from the fact that he is parking and riding.
geoffda

Postby geoffda » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:38 pm

CO_Steve wrote: it's hard to see the freefoot leading anywhere.

Because it isn't. If you stop motion on his transitions, it is easy enough to find some examples of big-toe dominant stemming. You know he can't be tipping because he is extending in transition. You can't tip if you push off.
Last edited by geoffda on Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoffda

Postby milesb » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:43 pm

good thing the snow is very soft......
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby jbotti » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:45 pm

geoffda wrote:See p. 142 of Essentials for a good explanation of the difference between too little, just right, and too much counteracting. The idea isn't to just crank your hips to a position and hold them, the idea to be moving your hips opposite the turn direction throughout the turn as needed to counteract the femoral rotation induced by tipping. This guy starts out with the classic hip dump--counteract fully on an extended leg and then sit the butt down. What saves him somewhat is that he then flexes. Although the timing is completely bass-ackwards, the fact that he flexes unlocks him somewhat and introduces enough movement to distract from the fact that he is parking and riding.

Wow I don't see it. His hips actually counter later into the turn and he has patience with the hip counter. Two things define hip dumping in my mind. The first is tail displacement. None of that is happening. The second would be weight too far back producing a park and ride turn. Unless he is on 8 meter TR skis, he is carving a very tight turn with some ski bend. He is actually doing the angry mother drill later in the video. Clearly he is accentuating hip counter, but I don't see dumping at all (again by my definition). I have actually worked quite hard to achieve this level of hip CA in my skiing.If the tails aren't displacing and the skis are bending from forward pressure why is there too much CA?
jbotti

Postby jbotti » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:50 pm

geoffda wrote:See p. 142 of Essentials for a good explanation of the difference between too little, just right, and too much counteracting. The idea isn't to just crank your hips to a position and hold them, the idea to be moving your hips opposite the turn direction throughout the turn as needed to counteract the femoral rotation induced by tipping. This guy starts out with the classic hip dump--counteract fully on an extended leg and then sit the butt down. What saves him somewhat is that he then flexes. Although the timing is completely bass-ackwards, the fact that he flexes unlocks him somewhat and introduces enough movement to distract from the fact that he is parking and riding.

Where is the extended leg, which I also don't see. In fact his stance leg stays flexed through the whole turn.
jbotti

Postby geoffda » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:05 pm

The extension comes at transition. He extends up, counters hard to stick his butt out and sits down. He is pretty much frozen from that moment on (and he is still in the high C). If his CA was progressive, you would see it continuing throughout the arc and he would still be increasing CA in the bottom of the arc. He's got great range of CA for sure, but he isn't nearly progressive enough with it. He gets good ski bend, but there is nothing progressive about it. His angles from the dump happen early in the arc, at which point the turn stops. What you would want to see is the arc continuing to tighten. Instead, the radius is constant (albeit tight). It's high level park and ride, but it is still park and ride. He isn't working the ski. Jay spent a great deal of time working with me on pretty much this exact thing (though if I could do it as well as this guy, I might never have showed up for a lesson) :mrgreen:.

Hip dumping doesn't require tail displacement. It is simply a mechanism that skiers use in lieu of tipping to move into the new turn. Basically, you push your hips laterally in the turn direction and then drop them. The "classic" hip dump uses CA to good effect. If you CA hard, your butt will stick out in the direction of the turn. then all you have to do is sit down to drop in. I'm the king of hip dumping and I know all the tricks. Let me know if you would like a lesson when you are out here next. I can have you skiing like that guy in no time! :mrgreen:
Last edited by geoffda on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoffda

Postby jbotti » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Does the stance leg flex or extend in that first transition? I see a leg flexing to release. Does he pull his skis back under him and allows his upper body to move up and forward (looking like he is extending)? Yes. Again is he flexing to release with the stance leg or extending to release in that first turn?
jbotti

Next

Return to Social Chatting