Can anyone translate?

Friends get together

Re: Can anyone translate?

Postby jbotti » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:15 pm

geoffda wrote: It's high level park and ride, but it is still park and ride. He isn't working the ski. :mrgreen:.

Take a look at the engagement of tips in that first arc. The tips are pressuring the snow and the spray is coming from the tips. No one can carve turns that tight without working the ski. We should all "park and ride" that well.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby geoffda » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:25 pm

jbotti wrote:Does the stance leg flex or extend in that first transition? I see a leg flexing to release. Does he pull his skis back under him and allows his upper body to move up and forward (looking like he is extending)? Yes. Again is he flexing to release with the stance leg or extending to release in that first turn?

We're talking about the first slo-mo transition right? What I see is that he goes to big toe first with the new stance foot, extends slightly to get the new free foot heading to LTE and then continues extend upward aggressively. He CA's fully and then from that extended position, dumps his hip.
geoffda

Postby geoffda » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:31 pm

jbotti wrote:
geoffda wrote: It's high level park and ride, but it is still park and ride. He isn't working the ski. :mrgreen:.

Take a look at the engagement of tips in that first arc. The tips are pressuring the snow and the spray is coming from the tips. No one can carve turns that tight without working the ski. We should all "park and ride" that well.

Sure you can. Get forward, get the skis to a high angle quickly and then stop increasing the angle. What is making it work is that this guy has the flexion/relaxation down. He dumps to start the turn, but then he is able to flex/relax to quickly get to a big angle. Instead of hooking the bottom of the turn, he just goes right to a tight radius and stays there.

I'm not saying the guy has no skills. With a couple of hours of PMTS instruction, he'd be amazing.
geoffda

Postby geoffda » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:36 pm

I guess we can agree to disagree until Max_501 or Harald steps in to settle the debate. Let me know when you are out here next and I'll buy you a beer. :D
geoffda

Postby jbotti » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:39 pm

geoffda wrote:
jbotti wrote:Does the stance leg flex or extend in that first transition? I see a leg flexing to release. Does he pull his skis back under him and allows his upper body to move up and forward (looking like he is extending)? Yes. Again is he flexing to release with the stance leg or extending to release in that first turn?

We're talking about the first slo-mo transition right? What I see is that he goes to big toe first with the new stance foot, extends slightly to get the new free foot heading to LTE and then continues extend upward aggressively. He CA's fully and then from that extended position, dumps his hip.

His free foot tipping may be late but he is flexing to release, not extending to release. Stop the video at the :18 mark and tell me if he is flexing or extending?
jbotti

Postby jbotti » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:40 pm

geoffda wrote:I guess we can agree to disagree until Max_501 or Harald steps in to settle the debate. Let me know when you are out here next and I'll buy you a beer. :D

Lets make it a root beer.
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:02 pm

The Language is German and I understand the instruction he is giving. His instruction is better than most, 70% better than most of the other stuff I see from anyone else on the internet. He's talking about fore/aft balance at the top of the arc, inside leg tipping, but he's talking about the knee tipping, he recommends "extreme" counter acting to get a stable upper body. His instructions are almost correct, his implementation not so much.

He's hugely knocked kneed, (Tecnica boots) that is why he's an extreme counteracting freak, his CA is over-done and too exaggerated. It's for this reason he has to extend to get out of the arc to recenter, not very efficient. His butt is dragging on the inside of the arc, but not the good part, he's actually way back on his skis. It's very soft snow, so he can get away with it. Notice his upper body is jacked forward at the waist, this is his biggest technical defect. . This is too extreme, requiring lots of excess movement, like standing up and twisting to the other extreme for CA, for the next arc.. Lots of what he is doing is compensating for poor alignment. the extreme hip counter is mostly due to his alignment, the CA helps him get his outside leg straighter.

THe skiing model is not my favorite, the instruction can work for some, but it has some flaws. It's also a one trick pony style, not very useful for short turns or in bumps.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:02 pm

BTW. Great day on the snow today, powder up to 6 inches.
h.harb

Postby Basil j » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:49 pm

h.harb wrote:BTW. Great day on the snow today, powder up to 6 inches.

Do you have to rub it in? 70 degrees in Boston today.
Cannon is targeting November 29th for opening day. Killington Is open with 10 trails all man made. Been there, done that. I'll hold off if I can until month end. Some of you guys will already have 20 days in by then. Long range eastern forecast does look good for snow by month end...
Basil j

Postby geoffda » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:55 pm

Great WEEK on snow. Powder almost every day :mrgreen: .
geoffda

Postby cheesehead » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:18 am

The website country designation is .at which is Austria
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby h.harb » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:57 pm

The dot. at is Austria, but this guy is speaking German, not Austrian. I speak both. I speak Tirolian to Germans that piss me off and I speak Tirolian in Tirol.
h.harb

Previous

Return to Social Chatting