Those 35m GS race skis - oh my...

Friends get together

Those 35m GS race skis - oh my...

Postby HighAngles » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:43 pm

So today was the first day that I really got an up close inspection of the new 35m GS skis and saw quite a few racers "attempting" to train on them. After seeing the miserable attempts to make these skis work I have a renewed respect for what Ted was able to do with these skis last season. I'm amazed at just how straight the sidecut looks on these skis. They're practically like my old skis from yesteryear that I raced on in the '80s.
HighAngles

Re: Those 35m GS race skis - oh my...

Postby h.harb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:54 pm

You are talking to the choir, I raced on 215cm straight GS skis in every condition 1971, and I weighed 170lb. Those skis had absolutely not side cut and were not as well made as today's skis. Todays' skis are not all the way back to that era, so Ted and others still have an advantage over the worst days of GS skis. Head still makes the best GS skis in the world, if they could get it done with Sl skis they'd have a winner. Rumor has it that Hirscher tried Head GS skis and was a second faster on them than his Atomics in summer training.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:46 pm

How can you tell there was some really lousy skiing going on with the 28 meter GS skis. Watch Bode's and Blardone's technique, it sucks. The king of the pivoters and now it no longer works. I always coached the kids the technique Hirscher and Alexis Pinturault use, (BTW. who's mother is Norwegian), even if they could get away cheating by using less CA and CB.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Even Ligety is using Hirscher technique, it works great on Head Skis, better than on Atomics..
h.harb

Postby Bonz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:28 am

What's the actual difference between the two brands?
Do the specs have to be identical or just the radius?
Bonz

Postby h.harb » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:29 pm

Ski construction is totally different, Dimensions are the same. Atomic is basically a modern cap ski. It has to be stiff to hold. So it doesn't bend with light pressure. Head skis can be softer and still hold because they have superior torsional qualities. Ligety can bend the top of the High C, and not pressure the ski, in other words he doesn't have to hammer it at the top of the arc. No one wants to hammer a ski in the high C. So they wait until they are in the falline, that's too late, so they end up hitting really hard at teh bottom. Ted can spread the arc, build pressure more evenly and release. I have always found this with Head skis. That's why I've been skiing on them and getting that advantage for the last 15 years.
h.harb

Return to Social Chatting