Come on, Man!

Friends get together

Re: Come on, Man!

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:58 pm

h.harb wrote:No Sofa Ski yet, and no Mount Vacation either, that stuff is early bad.

I'll have to dig some of that up tonight I guess.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:28 pm

As promised... To be fair, not all of this one was as bad as some others (although I watched it with the sound off).

Edit to clarify - This video definitely has some good athletic skiing in it. It also has a lot of skiing that could be mistaken for skiing with PMTS movements... however if you watch closely there is very little tipping going on (watch the carving segment), a lot of heel push, and a lot of up movements. All are very refined, but there. The skier is obviously very skilled, but it isn't not PMTS.
Last edited by HeluvaSkier on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeluvaSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:37 pm

This one is a lot worse... There are more where that one came from but I couldn't pick just one to link... They flash accomplishments and credentials so often because they have to justify the skiing that is going on.

Come on, man!

HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:43 pm

I can't believe Christian Meyer is participating in this ruse. The instruction is actually the opposite of what he used to do as a racer and definitely not what they are doing now. Amazing!
h.harb

Postby geoffda » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:54 am

So I was out at Keystone today working on skiing with my buddy James. Last run, I'm skiing down the steep part of a blue groomer doing short brushed turns working on a patient, floaty transition with good high c engagement. So I'm doing my thing and I notice that there is a ski instructor with his class in the flat and they are all watching as I ski down. I didn't think much about it, but James happened to overhear part of the ensuing conversation and it turns out they were talking about my skiing.

Ski Instructor: Saying something complementary that fit with whatever it was he was trying to teach (James didn't hear the specifics). I'm sure it was something like "See how he is using steering to shape his turns in order to control speed, blah blah blah..."

Student: "But how come HE's skiing with his legs so close together?"

Instructor: "Oh, well...He's the exception."

COME ON MAN!
geoffda

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:09 pm

Geoff,
That reminds me of last season when I had the L3 instructor comment when skiing with me: "Man you have really mastered 50/50 carving!" ...then proceeding to argue with me when I attempted to correct him - telling me that I was definitely standing on both feet very close to 50/50 weighting of both skis and my perception of what I was doing was incorrect...

Come on, man!

HeluvaSkier

Postby federico » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:11 pm

How to destroy a racer :

http://www.modernskiracing.com/WaistSteering.php

DONT confuse Schlopy with the "cowboy", please!

unbelievable...read and find the contraddictions (if you have enough stomach).
MAIORA VIRIBUS AUDERE
federico

Postby CO_Steve » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:14 pm

So is Geoff's experience common to all PMTS skiers? I skied Beaver Creek last Sat. with my family. Now I'm just two months past my first camp, about 25 days skiing, but I get the feeling all morning people are watching. I asked my wife who's always a bit behind and she confirms she's heard several comments. We skied past one of those mountain tour groups and stopped to regroup a bit lower down. They came down and stopped next to us. We chatted for a bit and I took off. After I left my son said the guide asked "where do you learn to ski like that?" Are people watching?
CO_Steve

Postby sorinj » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:49 pm

h.harb wrote:Totally agree this is horrible coaching and a terrible message to send out to skiers.

Come on, Man!

Sadly, youcanski seems to be the most common source of tech advice that I've heard from coaches in my son's race club. Come on, man!
sorinj

Postby h.harb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:08 am

HH says: I posted this on the comments, he removed it, what a chicken.
This is totally incorrect, no world cup racer, has time to pivot, between edge changes and engagements, what you are misinterpreting is the result of quick release and edge change. He is not pivoting, and no one pivots unless in total trouble. This is wrong information, and the wrong message to the skiing masses.

He constantly puts his teaching emphasis where it will damage skier progress. No one concentrates on pivoting in slalom training; they concentrate on carving edge to edge. He is always teaching what the best skiers in the world are trying to get rid of. I guess if you have never been a racer you just don't see what racers are really trying to do, not what they end up with when things are not perfect. No one needs to teach a pivoting move, to ski racers, what they have to teach, is getting the ski on edge, as early as possible. The skiers at the lower levels already pivot too much, that's why they are slow and will never make it.

Again the wrong message by an incompetent instructor. Fastman Rick, has no business putting up video of skiers, that you he has no idea, of what they are doing.

Come on, Man, can't you get it right once!

You know he's scared and insecure about his post, because he won't allow comments. What a coward! I don't disable mine. You can't even go over there and give this a tubs down, it's terrible information. That won't work, he disabled the rating function, what a weasel. This will pass quickly and be forgotten thankfully.
h.harb

Postby tarnaby » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Here is one: it never ceases to amaze me when I go to different ski areas that there are still some ski instructors out there using 20 year old straight skis. Come on, Man!!!!! How can you teach someone to use their equipment properly when you yourself don't even have proper equipment? Any ski school that allows their instructors to be on those things should have their right to sell teaching services revoked. C'mon!!!!
tarnaby

Postby BigE » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:31 pm

In general: Spewing outcomes to children rather than teaching kids skiing movements.

Come on, Man!
BigE

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:31 am

How about those who automatically discount and attack sound technical information based only on the source instead of evaluating the content... As long as this attitude prevails though, we will always ski better... I'm okay with that - it is a nice perk. :lol:

Come on, Man!

HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:29 am

One of the really annoying things I run into all the time being around PSIA trained people is; they just expect their instructors to know stupid definitions that are really meaningless, like "guiding" for example. I was riding with a PSIA trainer yesterday and he said, "He's missing guiding and steering. My response was, I didn't see any boy scouts around to guide me through this maze. What the hell does guiding mean? It's not a movement, it's a concept, but they choose to use words like that to cover up the fact that they don't teach skiing movements.
It's just another example of lazy content in their approach.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:07 pm

This simply refers to the fact that the legs extend to to match terrain variations and facilitate ski-snow contact and "shape" to the turn. Legs can continue to rotate as they extend. Depending on the joints that are extending there is still the ability to create angles between the legs andbody regardless of flexion/extension

This is from a PSIA You tube video.

Come on, Man, it doesn't make sense!

Legs can continue to rotate as they extend

That is just flat wrong, the hips can rotate, the upper body can rotate, but if you legs are extending hey cannot rotate the skis.
h.harb

PreviousNext

Return to Social Chatting