Come on, Man!

Friends get together

Re: Come on, Man!

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:00 pm

(like standing in front of a urinal).

That right there sums it all up...say no more....
go_large_or_go_home

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:56 pm

go_large_or_go_home wrote:
(like standing in front of a urinal).

That right there sums it all up...say no more....

they wouldn't know what to do in front of one. PSIA has to sit down to aim. :mrgreen:
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:47 pm

PSIA has to sit down to aim.

Have you been reading their policy manuals??
go_large_or_go_home

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:40 pm

go_large_or_go_home wrote:Have you been reading their policy manuals??

:oops:

HeluvaSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:20 am

From Jeb Boyd on explaining what "equilibrium" actually means:
"... simply stated, when the skills of RC, EC & PC align / are applied correctly for any given situation on the mountain, equilibrium is experienced. If one or more skills are applied inaccurately equilibrium will not be achieved. Equilibrium in all conditions and situations are our goal. Please don't get hung up on the words. Hope this helps."

That cleared it up. :lol:

HeluvaSkier

Postby HighAngles » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:52 am

"Don't get hung up on the words"? Seriously, what's the point of those words? They do nothing to provide any kind of clarity on skiing technique. Come on, Man!
HighAngles

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:07 am

Moral of the statement:

"Don't get hung up on what we are telling you to do because it makes completely zero sense and will not help you to ski better."

HeluvaSkier

Postby BigE » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:09 pm

According to Jeb, equilibrium has nothing to do with balance..... it is doing "just enough" of each skill at every moment.

Like, that's not even close to useful! How on earth is that going to turn into a teaching directive: "Do just enough". Come on.
BigE

Postby skijim13 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:55 am

Yesterday I saw one of my fellow ski instructors who have been taking clinics this season with our new level III trainer. The trainer told them that the new PSIA focus this season to focus on the outside leg and big toe only, the inside come along for the ride only and should be steered to match the outside ski. She was also told me that the tip I gave her about that pulling the inside foot back and holding the inside leg back during the turn is wrong and is a form of scissoring according to the trainer. The advice the trainer gave her to maintain fore aft balance, is to press against the front of your boots at all times. This why I gave up trying to learn anything from the PSIA they have no clue.
skijim13

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:38 am

Jim,
That trainer should be fired. That set on instructions will end up in a back-seated stem in every turn.

HeluvaSkier

Postby skijim13 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:03 am

After posting links to videos of PMTS skiing on my facebook, I had questions about what is PMTS. I explained the key differences and said to slow down the video and look for them vs. TTS movements. Additionally I posted the link to the slideshow Harald gave on PMTS. I finally had one fellow ski instructor say it was good stuff and he linked the slideshow to his facebook. The other man who is really good skier (been teaching for 30 years) just moved at West to teach at a big mountain could not see it, his comment "All I see here is that you are re-inventing the wheel. At the Level III". Level III ski instructors don't come close to that level of skiing and use TTS movements.
skijim13

Postby HighAngles » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:11 am

skijim13 wrote:After posting links to videos of PMTS skiing on my facebook, I had questions about what is PMTS. I explained the key differences and said to slow down the video and look for them vs. TTS movements. Additionally I posted the link to the slideshow Harald gave on PMTS. I finally had one fellow ski instructor say it was good stuff and he linked the slideshow to his facebook. The other man who is really good skier (been teaching for 30 years) just moved at West to teach at a big mountain could not see it, his comment "All I see here is that you are re-inventing the wheel. At the Level III". Level III ski instructors don't come close to that level of skiing and use TTS movements.

You should friend all of us on FB so that we can gang up on your TTS instruction buddies. :wink: :lol:
HighAngles

Postby skijim13 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:08 am

Here is his newest statement " All I see here is that you are re-inventing the wheel. At level III
focus on flexion & extension
Is confined to the ankles to the knees and tipping the skis to a high angle at turn initiation with the lower legs. So where is the skid you are talking about.
Ask Lani Tapley (an Eastern demo team member) what we work on at Pro Jam. Looks like
PSIA. To me". Never remember PSIA teaching that and if they are they stole from somewhere else maybe some PMTS (except for the extension). Check I out my facebook page I remember you accepted my friends request you are welcome to gang up on him, if you know anyone else from the group my facebook reference is Jim Farina.
skijim13

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Jim,
Unless the guy skis like HH, then he needs to STFU... :lol:

HeluvaSkier

Postby jbotti » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:43 am

This is the new bait and switch from the PSIA. Amazing that many are now saying that they have always taught tipping and some are now even saying that they always have taught flexing (when extending into every turn is the mainstay or their teaching approach). In general I have stayed out of this fight for the last several years but when I hear revisionist history I get quite irritated.

At the end of the day, a ground swell is occurring where those that are willing to admit it (increasing in numbers) know that what Harald has been teaching is correct and superior. So the question for them is how do they spin it. And that's what we are getting, the new spin.

But really, have they no shame!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

PreviousNext

Return to Social Chatting