Come on, Man!

Friends get together

Re: Come on, Man!

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:12 pm

*shrugs* I thought parts of the second one were okay but eh :?

http://www.thesnowpros.org/NewsInformat ... -Tell.aspx

Myth #1: There is No Leading Ski
Instructors often tell students, “Pull the inside foot back,” “Keep your tips more even,” or, “Don’t let the inside ski move ahead,” to try and encourage more evenly weighted distribution over two skis, and a quicker edge change.
But it’s an anatomical fact that there is always a lead ski. He said, “Even if you are standing on a hill in your shoes, in order for the downhill leg to bend, the uphill leg has to be ahead of the lower leg.”
Myth Busted: As the inside leg shortens to allow the center of mass to move inside the turn, the inside foot must move forward, creating a “leading inside ski.”

Myth #2: Ski with 50/50 Weight Distribution
Instructors often tell students, “Be more 50-50,” “Be more two-footed,” or “Put more weight on your inside ski.”
However, with the exception of some mogul and powder skiing, skiers are always putting more weight on one ski than the other, and always ski better, with more control and edge angle, when they stand on their outside foot.”
Myth Busted: Good skiers put direct pressure to the outside ski.

Myth #3: We Don’t Need Rotation in Medium to Long Radius Turns
Some instructors claim that counter rotation of the upper body is best for short turns and bumps, and not as important for GS-style and longer radius turns.
Using images of top World Cup racers running Super G and Downhill, Lipton demonstrated how strong rotation is always an asset. He said without it, skiers lose edge angle, turn preparation, and the ability to choose their line.
Myth Busted: Rotation is critical to allowing the legs to turn beneath the body. The only time you want to be facing in the same direction as your ski tips is when they’re pointing down the fall-line.
“Teaching cues are important, but you have to link them to the technical concept,” Lipton said. “At the end of the lesson, lose the drill and keep the skill. Finish all lessons by bringing them back to the fundamentals of linked turns.”
hyper_squirrel7

Postby skijim13 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:46 am

I know Eric at our mountain he is a God, I showed a top race instructor Eric's movement analysis from this website to demostrate to him that PMTS develops people to ski at even a higher level than PSIA or the current PSIA based race coaches. I can not begin to tell you how many bad things the person said about the analysis from the PMTS forum, his comment was that Eric could ski circles around any skier he knows including all the top skiers from PMTS. I lost total repect for him after that. I would say a key idea that keeps crossing my mine after reading it is that the what the PSIA develops for a skier after many clinics is "A skier instructor who really good at skiing badly."
Many ski instructors don't believe you should pull your inside foot back. Also the term balance on the outside ski is better term than put weight on it. I don't put direct pressure on my outside ski the pressure develops as the result of the forces in the turn and me being balanced on it, I just keep my outside leg from flexing from the forces. The PSIA believes you should push on your outside ski to bend it to tighten the turn. The PSIA is completly lost in the area of conteracting, pole usage, and counterbalancing. The also believe that rotation is a quick movement and not a slow progressive movement. People on the mountain never saw a drill like the angry mother and don't really see its great value building a key essential misssing in most peoples skiing. Ask the PSIA how to use poles and they really have no idea. I was eating dinner a few ago with some good friends and fellow ski instructors, when my wife and I told them we make all our turns now by tipping to the little toe edge and do not turn our skis they almost choked on their food. The really do not belive it is true and said we are turning our legs without really know it.
skijim13

Postby Max_501 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:52 am

Myth Busted: As the inside leg shortens to allow the center of mass to move inside the turn, the inside foot must move forward, creating a “leading inside ski.”

Which is why PMTS instructors tell their students to pull the inside foot back. The pullback movement is used to reduce/control rather than eliminate the lead.
Max_501

Re: Come on, Man! U.S. Ski Teams Trains with PSIA

Postby skijim13 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:27 pm

The U.S. Ski Team has a quest to be the “best in the world” – to get there, they are focusing on fundamentals this week, as team coaches and athletes train and clinic with PSIA-AASI Alpine Team members.

https://www.thesnowpros.org/NewsInforma ... wbird.aspx
skijim13

Postby ToddW » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:56 pm

ASEA should post video to demonstrate the progress of the US athletes under their alpine team's tutelage.
ToddW

Postby skijim13 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:32 am

I told a fellow ski instructor we were going to a Super Blue camp his reponse was that the PSIA trains skiers to ski like experts and that Level III instuctors ski instructor is a true expert. Note all these instructors are Level II certified

skijim13

Postby Basil j » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:28 pm

skijim13 wrote:I told a fellow ski instructor we were going to a Super Blue camp his reponse was that the PSIA trains skiers to ski like experts and that Level III instuctors ski instructor is a true expert. Note all these instructors are Level II certified

This looks about right. level 2 PSIA.
Basil j

Previous

Return to Social Chatting