Just up in Alaska

Friends get together

Just up in Alaska

Postby John Mason » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:20 pm

I was just up in Fairbanks and saw a t-shirt.

It was printed in Faux dictionary style:

------------------------------------------
Ve-ga-Ta-ri-an:

An Eskimo word for 'Bad Hunter'
------------------------------------------

I'm getting anxious to ski again. I'm about to run my 3rd marathon this month (quad cities). Up in Fairbanks I did the Equinox marathon. Hope to see as many of you as I can this season.
John Mason

Postby h.harb » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:12 pm

Hi John, Wish I was there with you, I could show you ,my old stomping grounds. I look forward to seeing you this winter.
h.harb

Postby Mac » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:35 am

We're all getting anxious to ski. Just be careful not to overdue it with this running thing. Older joints (or anyone's, for that matter) sometimes don't take kindly to all that pounding. I have heard that every time your foot hits the pavement, the force generated by it is equal to seven times your body weight. That's scary. I know you got into it later in life, but most runners I know are shot by the time they reach 50. Then they turn to cycling. I ride with a group of them every Sunday. I sometimes get out and run over the course of the winter when it's not practicle to bike, just to keep up my aerobic conditioning, but I keep it to a minimum. Same reason I've got away from using free weights in favor of other forms of resistance training. Have come to the conclusion that it can do more harm than good.
Best regards, and pray for snow,
Mac
Mac

Myths and Truths

Postby John Mason » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:26 pm

Most objective studies show runners with proper form have less joint problems than people that don't run.

But, this is true only if the impact is within the body's ability to recover. This is controlled mostly by cadence (footfalls per minute). More footfalls, less force. Impact force also depends greatly on if you are a heel striker or a mid or ball of foot striker.

I used to have joint problems all the time. 8 plus miles would have me single legging down the stairs. 15 plus would incapacitate me for a week.

I read up, spent 3 months completely changing how I ran, and I have no joint issues at all anymore.

The idea that you only have so many steps till your joints give out is a myth. Running is great (if done right).
John Mason

Postby Mac » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:46 am

Good imput John. I suspect that what you say is true. Proper form, as well as the right equipment, will make a big difference in any sport. I'll be the first to admit that although I'll buy the best equipment I can find, being the cheap yankee that I am, that I will use a pair of athletic shoes until they fall off me. The only thing I'll get rid of before they wear out is skis, but that's another story. Not a good thing when it comes to running shoes. And there's pitfalls to any sport, I've got the scares to prove it. The main thing is to find something that you like to do and keep on doing it. Anything you do is certainly better than nothing. The best exercise program in the world is useless if you can't stick to it.
Mac
Mac

Return to Social Chatting