Road to BASI level 4 / Eurotest over 30

Friends get together

Postby alpinebaseline » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:33 am

Like many in these uncertain times, I am looking to add another arrow to my employment quiver, so am considering pursuing a ski instructor qualification.

As I live in the UK that means, unfortunately, BASI qualification is the default route.

I thought it might be fun to offer occasional insights on how this goes, trying to stay true to PMTS principles whilst ticking the boxes to get the qualification(s).

Before I begin, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/comments on the following:

1. Is BASI a sensible path to reach the goal of being able to instruct skiing in Europe, or is there another option?
2. Is passing the Eurotest as a mid 30's (probably 36) reasonably athletic man, with no racing background, achievable?

"The speed test is a timed Giant Slalom race that compares competitors against the best skiers in the world. Men are required to come in within 18% of their time and women 24%."

This video gives quite a good summary of the level required to pass:

Many thanks!

Jonny
alpinebaseline

Re: Road to BASI level 4 / Eurotest over 30

Postby oggy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:34 am

1. Is BASI a sensible path to reach the goal of being able to instruct skiing in Europe, or is there another option?

Depends on where you want to teach. You can usually get a qualification from a local system at a lower level. E.g., you can get Level 1 certification in Austria/Switzerland with a week or so long courses, which allows you to work in the ski schools there. I did an Austrian level 1 as a non-EU person and a non-resident, and there were people there who passed it even without a working knowledge of German. As far as I know, in Switzerland you also used to be able to teach with foreign qualifications lower than Eurotest, maybe paying a fee to get the qualifications recognized. In France you will have to do the test technique, a slalom race test similar to (but less stringent than) the Eurotest to qualify for working there.

I've never done any racing so I can't really comment on your chances of passing the Eurotest...
oggy

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:16 am

Moved to social chat.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby ErikCO » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:24 pm

Coming within 18% of the top world cup skiers on the same course, when you have no prior race experience and are at the age where most WC racers have moved out of the technical disciplines sounds like an uphill battle. Having no race experience myself, I don't know what the chances are, but it sounds hard. It seems like they should age handicap the test.
ErikCO

Postby dougtee » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:09 am

also seems to get at the heart of what pmts is railing against - being a superior athlete and skiing fast doing things only you can do and could never teach is really what they are looking for?
dougtee

Return to Social Chatting