Back opens at the Big Show

Lets see your Posse Pics!

Back opens at the Big Show

Postby bowlhiker » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Howdy,

Here's a few pics from the other day at the Big Show. Winter is finally here - sort of.
It's deeper over at Highlands but when given lemons...
I'm the big ugly old guy in green. Everyone at the Big Show thinks I work for the picture crew.
Hey at least I'm not a Republican -- those beesterds. And neither are any of my friends.
Have fun ski safe!

http://gallery.me.com/heyoka#100182
bowlhiker

Re: Back opens at the Big Show

Postby Mac » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:16 am

Those conditions don't look too shabby to me right about now, I would settle for that. I seem to remember having a pair of skis like those once upon a time. Have you had a chance to ski the new Icon 80's yet?
Mac

Postby geoffda » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:47 pm

bowlhiker wrote:Everyone at the Big Show thinks I work for the picture crew.

Dude! Are you sure you don't? That is some green! x2 on how the Icon 80s are working out. Inquiring minds want to know...Another storm or two & I might be calling you to hit up the Big Show.
geoffda

Postby bowlhiker » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:28 pm

Howdy Do,

Macker! Yep, your skis. I just love those skis.

Today it was deep at the Beav. Really great snow, finally! I was going good. Yes, I love my SkiLogik Rave's (non rocker). But man. Those Head skis, you just can't beat 'em. What's great is when you get to the chop, they just go right through. No fat skis needed.

Geoff. Nope, not yet on the 80's yet. I"m saving them for another week or so. I've turned the 78's into rock skis and there are still some rocks out there. But I think I'm going to mount 'em up this week. I'm really psyched to get on 'em. I don't go to Vail much. I love the Beav. Like today. Yes, Vail reported 11 -- but they always over do it. The Beav reported 7, but it was deep because it snowed all morning. So all day long, we're skiing right up to the chair. That just doesn't happen at Vail. And Vail isn't steep enough for deep snow.

Hey I don't want to give out the wrong impression. I love being able to do what I do and I never take it for granted. My gosh, I live where others go on vacation. I'm so lucky. But Vail? Too crowded, too flat, too many catwalks for this cowboy. It's fine for social skiing, but only during the week. Yes, there's some good lines - Prima/Pronto/Log Chute, Tea Cup, Yonder Trees, Highline, the Ledges bump lines are great. But I dunno, there's a lot of poseurs there. The Beav? It's for skiers. Long-steep-bump runs, no crowds except for The Talons Challenge. And the vibe is low key -- you don't have all the uptight bs going on. It's just tourists and locals who love to ski. I know people who live in Vail who've never skied the Beav, because of whatever. I quit arguing with them years ago. Hey there's a reason why one of the toughest downhill courses anywhere is at the Beav!

So I'd love to hookup, but let's go to the Beav.

Highlands tamale for a couple of laps on the Bowl!
bowlhiker

Postby geoffda » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:24 pm

The Beav is good too. I really don't know that mountain at all; when I'm there I'm usually spinning laps out the Cinch gate then out Grouse for one final bc lap before heading home. It would be fun to hook up for some turns. You will love the 80s in the bumps on Grouse.
geoffda

Postby Mac » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:34 pm

I must say that the Beav is kind of a special place. I think that because it's at the end of the I-70 corridor, not many people are willing to make the long drive out there when there are so many resorts that are closer. And it's got everything you could want. Good snow, good lifts, lots of terrain, no crowds, why would you want to go anywhere else?
Mac

Return to Pictures